University To Confer 6,194 Degrees

Sunny skies predicted for Harvard's 350th commencement

By Jonathan H. Esensten, Crimson Staff Writer

Under the mostly sunny skies of Boston and Cambridge (it never rains on Commencement Day), Harvard students at the College and each of the eleven other schools will receive diplomas today as President Neil L. Rudenstine awards 6,194 degrees in today's 350th Commencement exercises.

Harvard College will award the most degrees of any of the schools. During ceremonies in Tercentenary Theater in Harvard Yard, 1,594 students will receive bachelor of arts degrees (A.B.) and 8 will receive bachelor of science (S.B.) degrees, according to numbers released yesterday by the Harvard News Offices.

Of those students graduating from the college, 844 are men and 758 are women. Seventy-six graduating seniors earned their diplomas summa cum laude in their concentration, 70 magna cum laude with highest honors, and 510 magna cum laude in their field of concentration. Three hundred eighty-six graduates earned cum laude honors in their field of concentration, 413 earned their diplomas cum laude in general studies. Non-honors degrees will be given to 147 students.

The National Weather Service is forecasting mostly sunny skies today with high temperatures approaching the upper 70s.

After morning exercises in Harvard Yard this morning, The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will award 755 degrees in Sanders Theater. Of those, 318 are Master of Arts (A.M.) degrees, 44 are Master of Science (A.S.), 391 are Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), one is Master of Forestry Science (M.F.S.), and one is Master of Engineering (M.E.).

One hundred fifty-seven newly-minted physicians will receive their Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degrees at Harvard Medical School and 11 students will receive a Master of Medical Sciences (M.M.Sc.) degree.

The School of Public Health will award 344 degrees tomorrow, including 185 Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) degrees, 134 Master of Science (M.S.) degrees, three Doctor of Public Health (D.P.H.) and 22 Doctor of Science (D.S.) degrees.

After a procession to Appian Way from Harvard Yard, 656 students will receive degrees from the Graduate School of Education. The School will award 603 Master of Education (Ed.M.) degrees, 47 Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degrees and six certificates of advanced study.

On the leafy Boston campus of Harvard Business School, 843 students will receive a Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree and four students will receive a Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.) degree.

The Law School will award 683 degrees today in Harvard Yard, including 136 Master of Laws (L.L.M.) degrees, 540 Doctor of Law (J.D) degrees and seven Doctor of Juridical Science (S.J.D.) degrees.

In the John F. Kennedy Memorial Park overlooking the Charles River, The Kennedy School of Government is awarding 486 degrees including 325 Master in Public Administration (M.P.A.) degrees, 156 Master in Public Policy (M.P.P.) degrees, four Master in Public Policy and Urban Planning (M.P.P./U.P.) degrees and one Doctor in Public Administration degree.

The School of Dental Medicine will award 94 degrees including 32 Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degrees, six Doctor of Medical Sciences in Oral Biology (D.M.Sc.), 14 Master of Medical Sciences in Oral Biology (M.M.Sc.), and 42 specialty certificates.

At the Divinity School, 63 students will receive a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree, 95 Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) degrees, seven Master of Theology (Th.M.) degrees and six doctor of Theology (Th.D.) degrees.

The Graduate School of Design will award 212 degrees, including 92 Master in Architecture (M.Arc.) degrees, 46 Master in Design Studies (M.D.S.) degrees, 24 Master of Architecture in Urban Design (M.A.U.D.) degrees, 19 Master in Landscape Architecture (M.L.A.), 15 Master in Urban Planning (M.U.P.) degrees, nine Doctor of Design (D.D.) degrees, three Master of Architecture/Master of Landscape Architecture degrees, two Master of Landscape Architecture / Master in Urban Planning degrees, one Master of Architecture / Master of Architecture in Urban Design degree and one Master of Landscape Architecture / Master of Architecture in Urban Design degree.

-Staff writer Jonathan H. Esensten can be reached at esensten@fas.harvard.edu.