Alumni Reunite After Thirty, Forty, and Forty-Five Years

Dan McCarthy ’78 kicks off the Harvard Alumni Association’s Career Discovery Day, hosted by the Class of 1978, with practical interviewing tips.
By Bonnie J. Kavoussi and Yuying Luo, Crimson Staff Writerss

Last weekend, the Classes of 1963, 1968, and 1978 descended upon Cambridge for their class reunions, eating in their old House dining halls, posing for pictures on the steps of Widener, and, most satisfyingly, watching Harvard’s football team demolish Cornell.

Many alumni said that they have maintained and deepened their friendships with classmates over the years.

Susan A. Waxenberg ’78, a New York attorney, said that the son of her classmate Anna A. Manatis ’78 is now her godson.

On Saturday, the Class of 1978—who call themselves “the blizzard brigade”—enjoyed a soiree in a white room decorated with snowflake balloons to commemorate the Great Blizzard of 1978.

The alumni danced in suits and cocktail dresses to songs like “Dancing Queen” and “I Will Survive.”

But some of the weekend’s business was a bit more sober: alumni from all three classes also attended memorial services to commemorate classmates who had passed away.

“It just makes you stop and think,” said Daniel B. Poneman ’78, who lived in Winthrop House. “It makes you focus on the here and now and take the time we’re given and make the most of it.”

Yesterday, members of the Class of 1978 turned their attention to the future by hosting the inaugural Career Discovery Day for current undergraduates. The event offered students a chance to explore fields such as medicine, finance, and technology.

After breaking into groups according to their field, the alumni tried to impart words of wisdom on the students.

“We are works in progress, but remain true to yourself,” said Philip S. Koch ’78, who is a commercial advisor to Exxon Mobil. “Remember to give back to the community at large.”

Antonio C. Baclig ’09, a chemistry and physics concentrator who lives in Leverett House, said he found the alumni advice useful.

“I think I had been too narrowly focused on what to do later on in life,” he said. “Talking to these people made me think about other paths and realize I should take more time to decide what I want to do.”

Joyce Y. Zhang ’09, a government and economics concentrator in Leverett, said that she also enjoyed the event.

“It’s great to get their perspectives because they were in our shoes once too,” said Zhang, a class marshal for the senior class and former Crimson news writer.

Some alumni said they found their relationships in college beneficial for the future.

“In this rough economy,” said Daniel J. McCarthy ’78, “we’re going to need to help out each other.”

—Staff writer Bonnie J. Kavoussi can be reached at kavoussi@fas.harvard.edu.