Lamont, Cabot Libraries Introduce Self-Checkout

A student tries out Lamont's new self-checkout system on Thursday afternoon, designed to speed up the checkout process and allow librarians to focus on responding to students' questions.
A student tries out Lamont's new self-checkout system on Thursday afternoon, designed to speed up the checkout process and allow librarians to focus on responding to students' questions. By Katherine L Borrazzo
By Andrew M. Duehren, Crimson Staff Writer

Lamont and Cabot libraries, two of the busiest libraries on campus, introduced on Monday self-checkout machines as an alternative to manual checkout by library staff, aimed at increasing accessibility and enhancing the experience of library users.

The two machines—one at each location—stand near the circulation desks at both libraries. While students will be able to check out most materials at the machines, they will still have to refer to the circulation and reserves desk to take out items on reserve and equipment. They will also still need to check their bags with a Securitas guard before exiting the library.

The addition of the two machines is the latest development in a broader effort that aims to streamline a student’s experience of entering and exiting the library.

Joshua Parker, head of access services for the humanities and social sciences, said that the installment of the machines serves to address student feedback about their experiences at the library. He added that discussions about using the machines began over a year ago.

“I see the self-check devices as being part of a broader cluster of efforts at the library to respond to that user feedback, and to try to think creatively about how we can address some of those issues,” he said.

Other recent changes at the Harvard library system include the implementation of the “Secure Exit” system, which allows Securitas guards at the library door to scan student books rather than manually checking to see if they belong to the library. In addition, the opening of the west entrance to Lamont Library from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. offers another avenue for students to exit and enter the library.

Parker said that the machines not only increase student convenience but also benefit the library staff, giving them more time to assist visitors at the library.

“It allows library staff to concentrate their energies on things that have more of an impact on the patron,” he said.

These machines are not new on campus, as both the Wolbach Library and Physics Research Library—two smaller, specialized research libraries—currently have machines as well.

Some students said they believed that the machines could be useful assets at the libraries.

“I think I’ll use the machine in the future, especially if there’s a long line at the regular checkout desk,” said Michael L. He ’18.

“I literally can’t see how they wouldn’t be useful. If they make it easier for students to use the school’s resources, then they are only a positive,” said Dylan M. Clark ’18.

Student LifeLibrariesLamontFront FeatureUniversity NewsNews Front Feature