Holy Cross Loss Reveals Football's Weaknesses and Grit

Sophomore wide receiver Brian Dunlap (18), senior wide receiver Joseph Foster (12), and junior quarterback Jake Forte (5) take in some of Harvard's 31-17 win over Georgetown.
Sophomore wide receiver Brian Dunlap (18), senior wide receiver Joseph Foster (12), and junior quarterback Jake Forte (5) take in some of Harvard's 31-17 win over Georgetown. By Y. Kit Wu
By Sam Danello, Crimson Staff Writer

“These guys aren’t used to losing.”

So said Harvard football coach Tim Murphy last Saturday, minutes after the final whistle had sounded on Holy Cross’s 27-17 victory over the Crimson.

“These guys” referred to the Harvard team—now 4-1 and no longer invincible. And “aren’t used to losing”? Hardly was that phrase a reflection on the personality of players. It was, instead, a dry fact.

Stretching back to 2011, the Crimson had claimed 16 straight nonconference games. Stretching back to 2013, the program had taken 16 straight road contests. Both streaks screeched to a halt in Worcester, Mass., against a Crusaders team that had lost a star quarterback and three running backs but still managed to beat the No. 15/20 team in FCS football.

Harvard apologetics will point to the plague of injuries that have befallen the Crimson. Watching from the sideline were senior quarterback Joe Viviano (knee), junior running back Semar Smith (lower leg), and sophomore wide receiver Justice Shelton-Mosley (leg). It’s a good bet that the three starters will return for Princeton next weekend, but last Saturday Harvard missed their playmaking abilities.

Whenever a first-string quarterback, workhorse running back, and top wide receiver go down—which, by the way, doesn’t happen often—a team has enough excuses to justify a blowout loss. It’s tempting to view the Holy Cross defeat in this light, as a meaningless scrimmage in which the Crimson conceded defeat.

Fundamentally this view is wrong. Onstage with Murphy at the post-game press conference were defensive back Sean Ahern and halfback Anthony Firkser—two senior leaders who bully opponents on the field but speak in respectful tones afterward. They looked dog-tired after the game on Saturday, which made sense because they’d just taken off their helmets.

But this particular fatigue was both physical and spiritual. It’s tiring to sprint around for 60 minutes; it’s also tiring to exit Holy Cross’s stadium and realize that the dream of a perfect season has died with the last snap.

Think losing to the Crusaders doesn’t mean anything? Try telling that to someone who has 360—no, make that 300—minutes left in his career. Every tick counts.

An aura of confidence surrounds undefeated football teams. Deficits seem fluky, and comebacks seem inevitable.

That’s how it felt to watch the 2015 football team. That group had too much talent, creativity, and willpower to lose. Even in the Dartmouth matchup last October, with the Crimson down 13-0 and facing a desperation fourth-and-12, the team still seemed capable of pulling off the win.

And Harvard did, scoring 14 straight points in what surely ranks as one of the greatest comebacks in school history.

Emotionally I’m still trying to make sense of the Crimson’s loss to Penn last year. Watching the program for a season, I believed in my gut that Harvard would always win. Give the team enough time—an extra quarter, maybe—and the Crimson would always rise to the top.

After Holy Cross, I don’t have this same feeling about Harvard in 2016. Players have talent and hunger. Coaches have an intimate knowledge of personnel. Most importantly, team leaders like Ahern and Firkser have that quality that Murphy refers to as “grit.”

But I have no idea whether the Crimson will win the Ivy League. Last season felt like a foregone conclusion; this season feels like a grind.

The offensive line is banged up, missing a couple of opening-day starters; already the unit faced the challenge of replacing three All-Ivy seniors. Against the Crusaders, Harvard allowed six sacks and three backfield tackles that led to fumbles. Collectively the visitors rushed for 29 yards on 26 carries.

On special teams, the Crimson has struggled on coverage. Holy Cross speedster Jake Wieczorek racked up a 39-yard kickoff return and a 21-yard punt return on Saturday. Overall Harvard ranks sixth in the Ancient Eight in opponents’ kickoff return average and seventh in opponents’ punt return average.

At times, tough defensive play has compensated for other shortcomings. But weaknesses threaten this unit, too.

Ever since Penn wide receiver Justin Watson broke for a spirit-crushing, 79-yard sweep last November, the Crimson has struggled to stop sideline plays. In an earlier win over Georgetown, Harvard conceded two long touchdowns on a quick screen and fly sweep; in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s contest, the Crimson let up a 36-yard rush to the outside, eventually allowing the Crusaders to build a two-score lead.

The middle of the secondary has also proven vulnerable, as Cornell quarterback Dalton Banks and Holy Cross quarterback Geoff Wade have sent long balls over the top. Generally the squadron of defensive backs and safeties has exceeded expectations, playing with verve and intelligence. But the long completions hurt.

Make no mistake—a healthy Harvard team possesses immense talent. Firkser and Shelton-Mosley look like high school kids playing in a peewee league; Viviano can really fling the ball; linebacker play improves each week; and despite the praise of opposing coaches, the defensive line remains shamefully underrated.

And again, the greatest cause for hope is that this team has “grit.” The 2016 Crimson won’t give up without a fight.

So far no game in 2016 carries more implications than the upcoming Princeton matchup. The Tigers are talented, motivated, and a serious dark horse to win the Ivy League. Last week they manhandled a Brown team that had hung tough with Harvard in week two.

If the Crimson cruises to victory on Saturday, then I’ll gladly shut up. But something in me senses that a battle looms. Already I can hear the crunch of footsteps and see the glint of helmets.

Harvard players aren’t used to losing—fair enough. On Saturday we’ll see whether they know how to win.

—Staff writer Sam Danello can be reached at sam.danello@thecrimson.com.

ColumnsFootball