Students, Businesses Gear Up for Freshman Family Weekend

By Margot D. Dionne, Contributing Writer

Freshmen may have a little more motivation than usual to clean their dorms this weekend as parents descend on Cambridge for Freshman Family Weekend from Nov. 4 to 5.

Students and businesses are preparing for the parents and family members who will be joining their children this weekend. The name of the event was changed this year from Parents Weekend to Family Weekend in an attempt to be more open to all families, according to Dean of Freshmen Thomas A. Dingman ’67.

“We are hoping that they have a wonderful reunion and that the families get a chance to learn more about Harvard and to meet their son or daughter's friends, faculty, and advisers,” Dingman said.

Many students expressed excitement for their family to visit them at school, and have been preparing for their parents’ arrival. Allison Piper ’20 said she will “definitely” be cleaning her room before the weekend.

Once students reunite with their families, they will have the opportunity to bring them to classes and hear special faculty presentations, including an address from University President Drew G. Faust and Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana.

Piper said she is excited about taking her parents to classes and club meetings.

“I’m going to try to take them to one of my classes on Friday and then to a meeting with the Women's Initiative in Leadership at the [Institute of Politics],” she said.

Other students are looking forward to the various special events held over the weekend. Michael Horton ’20 said he will attend the Catholic Student Association family mass on Sunday.

The weekend will also feature a football tailgate for freshmen and their families prior to this weekend’s match against Columbia. Dingman said that proctors will be by the football field so they can meet families of students, adding that “students whose families aren’t coming are invited to participate as well.”

Horace Payne ’20 said he was excited for the football game.

“We’re going to go to the football tailgate,” he said. “That should be a lot of fun.”

Local hotels and businesses are also preparing for the weekend. Several hotels, including the Hyatt Regency Cambridge, the Courtyard Boston Cambridge and the Boston Marriott Cambridge are offering special rates for the weekend, according to the Freshman Family Weekend website.

Harrison J. Choate ’17, managing director of apparel store the Harvard Shop, said the store will host an event with Harvard parents’ apparel “prominently on display.” Choate also said parents will be able to use their child’s 25 percent discount at the event, which will also include refreshments from David’s Tea and Pinkberry.

Horton said he was excited by the opportunity to see his parents.

“I’m excited for [the weekend],” he said. “It’s going to be good to see them.”

CollegeStudent LifeCollege AdministrationCollege LifeFreshmenHarvard YardCollege News