‘Classroom to Table’ Program Returns for a Third Year

Despite budget constraints, Classroom to Table will return for another year.
Despite budget constraints, Classroom to Table will return for another year. By Grace Z. Li
By Isabel M. Kendall and Jacqueline P. Patel, Contributing Writers

Classroom to Table, a popular College program which pays for students to eat at Square restaurants with professors, has returned for another year with slight modifications.

The program, piloted Sept. 2015, will partner this year with six participating restaurants in Harvard Square: Grafton Street, Legal Seafood, Park Restaurant, the Hourly Oyster House, Temple Bar, and Russell House Tavern.

Unlike last year, the program now limits students to participating in four Classroom to Table meals per semester, a move intended to increase student access amongst limited funds. Last semester, the program ended early after running out of funds due to high demand.

Additionally, the per-person funding has increased to 30 dollars from 20 dollars at the program’s start and 25 dollars last year. Harvard pays restaurants directly to cover meal costs, tax, and an 18 percent gratuity. In line with previous policy, the College will not pay for alcoholic beverages for faculty or students.

The College began accepting reservations on October 16 from groups of four to six current undergraduates and faculty. Students and faculty made just under 1,000 Classroom to Table reservations in the program’s inaugural year, according to administrators.

Jongtae Jeon ’21 wrote in an email that he’s interested in using Classroom to Table “to get to know my professors outside of a strictly academic setting.

“I am going to use it to have dinner with my philosophy professor, Bernhard Nickel, along with some friends from the class,” Jeon wrote. “I'm hoping to delve deeper into some of the philosophical questions we've been discussing in class, but also learn more about him and his interests.”

Ethan S. Medlan ‘21, who is also planning on using the program soon, said he looks forward to the “free food and talking to a professor in a non-formal environment.”

Sophia J. Lee ‘21 echoed those sentiments, adding that she thought the program was a good idea and that she would like to participate eventually.

Reservation requests dated October 23 and on are now accepted on the program’s website.

Student LifeCollege AdministrationCollege FinanceCollege LifeCollege News