Beanpot Consolation Ends in 6-6 Tie with Boston University

For the second year in a row, the Harvard women’s hockey team found themselves battling against Boston University to stay out of last place in the Beanpot Challenge consolation game.
For the second year in a row, the Harvard women’s hockey team found themselves battling against Boston University to stay out of last place in the Beanpot Challenge consolation game. By Matthew W DeShaw
By Julio Fierro, Crimson Staff Writer

For the second consecutive year, the Harvard women’s ice hockey team found itself paired up with crosstown rivals Boston University in the Women’s Beanpot Consolation game, with both teams looking to avoid finishing as the bottom team in Beantown.

In a back and forth affair in which the two teams combined for a total of 12 goals over the span of 60 minutes and neither led by more than one at any point, the Crimson (3-17-5, 3-11-4 ECAC) and Terriers (13-10-6, 8-8-4 WHEA) settled for a 6-6 tie after both team were unable to break through in the deciding overtime period.

“That was more like a lacrosse game than a hockey game.” Harvard coach Katey Stone said. “I loved how our kids continued to compete the entire game...I’m very proud of our effort. There’s not doubt this group of kids brings its best effort every time they put the jersey on.”

After combining for six goals in the span of the first 40 minutes of the game, a frantic third period saw the back and forth story continue as the teams once again put up six goals, this time in the span of a mere 20 minutes.

BU winger Rebecca Leslie scored just over five minutes into the final period of regulation to give her team a 4-3 only to see Harvard co-captain Sydney Daniels equalize almost immediately with a rocket from the point past Terrier netminder Erin O’Neil.

Former Harvard forward Mary Parker–who graduated last year for the Crimson with a year of eligibility remaining and opted to play for BU–recovered the lead for her new team as the fifth-year sent a laser from just inside the right faceoff circle past Harvard rookie goalkeeper Larcom for a 5-4 lead.

Harvard was up to the challenge once again, however, as junior forward Lexie Laing evened the score with a shot from the just outside the crease. Parker looked to have given her team the deciding lead, however, as a shot from teammate teammate Victoria Bach rebounded off Larcom to a waiting Parker for the 6-5 lead.

With time running out and just over a minute remaining in regulation, sophomore winger Kate Hallett scored a dramatic equalizer for the Crimson, poking in the puck from just outside the crease following a scrum in front of the Terrier net to rescue a tie for her team.

“Coach says we need to play a full 60 minutes and our team has done that continuously throughout the year” Hallett said. “We’re kids with a lot of heart, a lot of work ethic and we’re going to keep pushing no matter what.”

BU opened up the scoring in the first period as a shot by Terrier forward Maddie Elia set off a scrum in front Larcom. The puck floated around the crease before senior winger Nina Rodgers poked it home for BU to give her team the early lead.

It took less than five minutes for Harvard to respond, taking advantage of a powerplay opportunity to even the score as Terrier defender Connor Galway was called for an interference penalty.

It only took a few moments for the Crimson to find the back of the net as Harvard worked the puck up towards the goalline before Laing swung the puck across the crease for classmate Haley Mullins to tap in for a 1-1 scoreline.

BU regained control of the match at the beginning of the second stanza with Rodgers returning the favor to Elia, as the former sent a rocket towards the net that was redirected by Elia past a stranded Larcom.

Once again, however, it was Mullins who responded in less than five minutes for Harvard as the junior intercepted the puck in the Crimson’s offensive zone. After the puck managed to bounce around between a few sticks, Daniels fed Mullins who controlled the puck in the slot and sent flying past O’Neil.

After struggling to bounce back from deficits throughout the season, Stone credited her players for refusing to deflate and remaining aggressive despite falling behind throughout the game.

“I think our kids are fed up quite frankly.” Stone said. “They’re tired of being in that position and they’re proud, really proud kids. They want to be better than we are right now and our record doesn’t show our fight or tenacity that our team has.”

Though Harvard ramped up its aggressiveness on the attack after Mullins’ second goal, the Crimson found itself up in the most unexpected of ways.

A routine clearance by Harvard junior defender Chelsea Ziadie from the defensive zone sent the puck calmly towards O’Neil, who looked to immediately push the puck forward in order to keep the Crimson pinned back. The Terrier netminder, however, allowed the puck to bounce off her stick and between her legs, allowing it to trickle into the goal as she looked around in confusion.

Ziadie was given credit for the goal, her second tally in as many consecutive games, while Larcom was credited with the helper.

“I think Erin saw the couple of BU kids kind of fanning out and late in the process she made the decision ‘oh I can move this up quick’, forgetting she was in the middle of the net.” BU coach Brian Durocher said.

While the Crimson looked to be in control, a lapse on the defensive third allowed BU forward Victoria Bach to control the puck behind the net and skate unguarded around Larcom’s gloveside before sending a rocket into the top shelf to make it 3-3 and set up an eventful final 25 minutes of play.

With the tie now in its rearview mirror, Harvard looks to build on this result as the team makes a push to make the ECAC Playoffs, starting with a pair of road games at Union and RPI this weekend.

—Staff writer Julio Fierro can be reached at julio.fierro@thecrimson.com.

Women's Ice HockeyGame Stories