Between the Lines

By Michelle I. Gao

Unsubtle Asian Traits

Despite the recent onslaught of alarming revelations about Facebook, I use the app more frequently — entirely because of the new meme group “subtle asian traits.” This group, which has amassed over 800,000 members from across the world in the past few months, is full of memes about Asian life, updated at seemingly every second.

Read more »

Young Voters and Excitement, Or Lack Thereof

Two weeks ago, I finally registered to vote. It was anticlimactic, though, and not just because I had to wait until the envelope with my registration forms reached my county’s board of elections. It was anticlimactic because I had no real excitement about the process.

Read more »

What College Admissions Still Needs to ‘Affirm’

In the debate around the role of “affirmative action” in college admissions, it is worth lingering on the term itself. I think it holds the most central, but too infrequently asked, question in this debate: What should still be affirmed by admissions?

Read more »

Not Quite a Home Away from Home

Can college be a home? We often jump to thinking about ways to make college more of a home for students. But let’s not put the cart before the horse. This question hinges on what the definition of “home” should be, which can and does vary widely.

Read more »

Rehumanizing 'Networking'

At work this summer, everything was a networking opportunity — from the official socializing events that had “networking” in the title to the random run-ins with senior staff while standing in the lunch line. Networking was so important that we could clock it in. The emphasis was mildly uncomfortable, but not because I didn’t enjoy meeting people whose careers I admired and whose opinions I wanted to hear. The term “networking” just didn’t feel right.

Read more »
1-5 of 17
Older ›
Oldest »