Between the Lines

Not Quite a Home Away from Home

September 26, 2018

Can college be a home? We often jump to thinking about ways to make college more of a home for students. But let’s not put the cart before the horse. This question hinges on what the definition of “home” should be, which can and does vary widely.

Read more

Rehumanizing 'Networking'

September 12, 2018

At work this summer, everything was a networking opportunity — from the official socializing events that had “networking” in the title to the random run-ins with senior staff while standing in the lunch line. Networking was so important that we could clock it in. The emphasis was mildly uncomfortable, but not because I didn’t enjoy meeting people whose careers I admired and whose opinions I wanted to hear. The term “networking” just didn’t feel right.

Read more

Who Can Be ‘Racist’?

August 10, 2018

I suppose that as an Asian American, I would qualify as a recipient of this exemption. While that could be convenient, I don’t think I — or any other person of color — should deserve such an exemption. I’m sure, for example, that I can be racist (I imagine some might call me that from reading this column), and I’d like to be engaged in conversation if I mess up, perhaps by making a distasteful remark.

Read more

What a Time to Be American

July 27, 2018

It is just as well that the United States didn’t send a team to the World Cup, because it’s been incredibly hard this summer to cheer on America in the international sphere.

Read more

It’s Not Asians Who ‘Game the System’

July 13, 2018

Asians may be called the “model minority,” but it doesn’t seem like we’re actually wanted in schools. We are implicitly accused of taking up too many spots in elite New York City high schools, so the mayor’s new plan proposes to scrap the admissions exam in favor of less objective criteria. At the same time, we are fighting elite universities like Harvard in court over charges of unfair discrimination.

Read more