Made Outside America

Guests in Our Country

5 days ago

“Uno siempre anhela tener una sala bonita con un comedor bonito y, pues, no. Tampoco se arriesga uno a comprar una sala bonita porque de pronto hoy estamos aquí y mañana no.”

Read more

'White Enough'

April 02, 2018

My white then-boyfriend joked as I sat next to him in the car. I had been telling him about a meeting I had gone to earlier that day. A group of black students had been joking about the lack of seasoning in white food and had turned to me to say, “No offense.”

Read more

Undocumented, Woman, and Brown

March 19, 2018

***

Read more

438: The Countdown to Falling Out of Status

February 26, 2018

The thing that bothers me about this number is that it doesn’t seem that bad at first. I have over a year left. A lot can happen in that time. But that’s exactly it: A lot can change. Each day that passes, 122 DACA recipients lose their status. My deadline is just a bit farther away. Right now, my DACA is set to expire as I take my finals next year. It will last me through my first three years at Harvard. But it is set to expire before I graduate. A lot can happen in that time. Graduation is not guaranteed. Permission to work after college is not guaranteed.

Read more

I Wear My Pain on My Sleeve

February 13, 2018

During the event, I asked him how he could justify a plan that would divide our community and increase deaths at the border, and he claimed his hands were tied because he had to compromise with the demands of the Republicans. He looked at me and said, “We’ve got to turn this over to the next generation who’s willing to fight, and I can’t think of better leaders than those who have been through the struggle.” He was so happy to see how empowered immigrant youth were becoming because we were fighting for our rights.

Read more