BREVITIES.

As yet no one has taken Chinese.

THERE will be no more base-ball games this fall.

SEVERAL of the Freshman crew weigh over 180 pounds.

THE system of hat checks has been revived at the Library.

A FRESHMAN was heard to ask for table 83 in Memorial Hall.

FOUR Harvard graduates are now in the customs service of China.

IT is estimated that the text-books in History 8 will cost $2,000.

THE Lacrosse Club will probably play the Union Club next Friday.

IT is rumored that the Assemblies will be given in Boston this winter.

$8,500 has been subscribed to defray the cost of the Chinese teachership.

THE number of tickets to the referee's boat tomorrow is limited to forty.

THE Freshman who used to sit with the Seniors at prayers has changed his seat.

WILLIAMS COLLEGE has an " O. K. Club." It discusses economic questions.

MR. H. C. MULLIGAN, '79, has been elected assistant-auditor of the Dining Association.

A NEW set of College Regulations, with important changes, are now ready for distribution.

TWENTY-TWO men have elected English 6 this year. The number last year was nineteen.

THERE are six Chinese students in the Phillips Academy at Exeter, and twelve at Andover.

"THE Class Races will take place next Saturday; at 10 A. M., on Jarvis Field." - Transcript.

MR. FRANCIS P. KNIGHT is the originator of the plan for the instruction of Chinese at Harvard.

The Boston Herald speaks of Turner's Liber Studio-room sketches as a valuable book for students.

FOUR members of the Annex have entered for the four-year course, and eighteen take special courses.

MR. F. M. STONE, of the Sophomore Class, has been appointed assistant-treasurer of the H. U. B. C.

THE Sophomore who asked for condensed water in the laboratory is taking his first course in chemistry.

WHY have not the balls that were won by the Nine last year been placed in the case in Memorial Hall?

IT is not true that the occupants of Weld are expected, in case of fire, to use the fire-escape on Matthews.

THE gentlemen composing and accompanying the Britannia Football Team will witness the Class Races to-morrow morning.

SOME disappointed aspirant suggests that the Art Club medal consists of a silver palette because its members lack taste.

PROFESSOR KO HUN HUA was a guest at the banquet of the Commercial Club, at the Tremont House, last Saturday evening.

THE following men have been elected members of the Gray Law Club: Ayers, Clapp, Lawrence, Mulligan, Boles, and Merrill.

PROFESSOR TROWBRIDGE began a course of lectures on the "Philosophy of Physics," at the Lowell Institute, Monday evening.

IT is stated that Minister James Russell Lowell will be obliged to leave Madrid and come home on account of his wife's health.

MR. WENDELL and Mr. Simmons wish it stated that the entering of their names for the Park Garden Games was wholly unauthorized.

THE Bicycle Club will be interested to know that Scribner's is to have a paper upon the sport, by the well-known rider and writer, Mr. Charles E. Pratt.

THE proposed lengthening of the breakfast hour at Memorial Hall has been given up, on account of the trouble that it would make among the servants in the kitchen.

A SMALL silver box has been lost between Memorial Hall and Sever's. The finder will confer a favor by calling or sending his address to No. 52 Brattle Street.

A FRESHMAN recently attended Pinafore, and left in hot haste at the beginning of the second act, for fear that the doors of the domitories might be locked before he got home! (Fact.)

PROFESSOR LOVERING is giving a course of twelve lectures for the Lowell Institute, on Saturday evenings. His subject is "The Connection of the Physical Sciences."

PROFESSOR WILLIAM G. FARLOW will deliver twelve lectures for the Lowell Institute on the "Lower Forms of Plant Life." The lectures will be given on successive Monday and Thursday evenings.

THE Editors of THE CRIMSON desire to call attention to the fact that they do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed in the Correspondence Column.

THE Board of Directors of Memorial Hall have petitioned the Corporation for leave to put in a few more tables. There are still some fifteen or twenty persons boarding at the hall over and above the number of seats.

PROFESSOR PAINE proposes having a subscription series of five chamber concerts this winter, to be given probably in Boylston Hall. Works of the modern as well as those of the classic masters will be produced.

IT is reported that the Bicycle Club have engaged for the winter the building formerly occupied by John Wilson & Son. The lower story will be used as a storeroom for bicycles, and the upper floor for a rink or a tennis court.

THE Harvard Philosophical Club will meet Monday, October 27, 8 P. M., at 45 Holyoke. An article in the Journal of Speculative Philosophy for July, 1878, entitled "Some Considerations on the Notion of Space," will be read.

A COMMITTEE of ten, made up of five alumni and five undergraduates, will preside hereafter over Yale's athletic interests, and the alumni will have a vote on the appointment of men to represent the college in athletic contests.

THE collection of books in modern Greek, which has had the special care of the late President Felton and Professor Sophocles, has recently been rearranged for use in the Library. It is by far the best collection of modern Greek works in America.

ALL the officers of the Memorial Hall Dining Association have been elected. President, Josiah Quincy, '80; Vice-President, G. A. Burdett, '81. Directors: Seniors, Almy, A. Perry; Juniors, Atkinson, W. R. Thayer; Sophomores, Boyd, P. M. Washburn; Freshmen, Evans, Kip; Law School, Barnes, Elting; Divinity School, Bowser; Episcopal Theological School, J. W. Gilmore.

SCENE: U. 24. Professor By-Path's Seniors are crowding the benches. Freshman Tutor Sleet is in the chair. Professor By-Path, it seems, is cutting.

Sleet loquitur. - I will request Mr. Snodkins (of '83, late '82) to stay after the recitation. I beg your pardon; I should have seen you were Seniors.

He flees to his real recitation-room in U. 23, and finds his section gone; time, 10.06. Grind on Sleet and the swell Seniors.

THE following are the subjects for the first Junior Forensic:-

1. Would the annexation of Canada be advantageous to the United States?

2. Has England any ground for fearing a Russian advance on India?

3. What justification had King Lear's daughters?

4. May we rightly indulge in luxuries when our fellow-men are in want?

The first section will hand in their forensic November 5; the second, November 12; the third, November 19; the fourth, November 26.

HARVARD FRESHMEN VS. ST. MARK'S.THE game began at 2.15 P. M., with Harvard at the bat. After seven innings were played, the game was called at 4.30 P. M., as by a previous agreement between the two captains, to enable the visitors to catch the last train from Southborough for Boston. As St. Mark's was ahead at this point, the Freshmen were naturally dissatisfied. St. Mark's courteously consented to go on with the game, but decided among themselves to stop at the end of the next half, whatever the result, being determined to cling to the original agreement. The Freshmen then went in, and made five runs. St. Mark's then withdrew.

The following is the score by innings:-

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

St. Mark's 3 0 1 6 1 0 1-12

Freshmen 2 0 1 4 2 1 1-11