PROTECTION.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

SEEING in the daily papers a notice of a meeting held for the purpose of generating a new rowing association, I beg leave to offer through your columns, to the gentlemen interested in that enterprise, the following suggestions:-

That the organization be called "The New England Protective Rowing Association";

That every boat winning a race be thereby disqualified from rowing again.

The result of this rule will be that every boat but one will win a flag. Another flag can then be bought, the means being raised by a subscription, and presented to the remaining boat, as being the sole survivor of the N. E. P. R. A. Thus each will have its flag, and all be happy.

E. F.TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

I SHOULD like to ask a question in your columns, which I am sure many besides myself would like to have answered.

In the pamphlet containing the elaborate exposition of our elective system, page 5, under the heading "Latin," stand the following words:- "Tacitus. - Suetonius. - Juvenal. Three times a week," etc.

Why is it that none of these authors have been taken up in this elective, and that the letters of Gajus Pliny the Younger have been substituted? If the professors are not bound down to follow the printed programme, it certainly seems fair that some warning should be given to the unsuspecting to that effect. In the present case the change is not one that could cause much trouble, but it would be quite an unpleasant surprise to one who intended to pursue a course in Fine Arts with ardor to find that Mechanics had been put in its place. Is the elective system meant to work in two ways: we choosing what we wish to take, and then the professors what they wish to give us? I remain, etc.,

W. T. C.[We are informed that professors are not bound to pursue exactly the course mentioned in the list of electives, but that a change from such course is never made without good reasons. No such radical change as our correspondent hints at, and describes as likely to produce "an unpleasant surprise," would be made without proper notice being given. - EDS.]