AN ELECTIVE IN LAW.

THE study of law in college would be very beneficial, not only from a practical point of view, but also from a theoretical one. It trains the mind to concise thinking, and perhaps excels every other in teaching the student not to regard matters superficially, but to search deeply for underlying causes, and not to be misled by appearances.

But it is for its practical value that we desire an elective in law, though the consideration of its theoretical value may overcome the objections of those who think that, in college, time should not be taken from studies which conduce to general culture, and devoted to professional studies. The students who intend to make the law their profession form a large portion of every class, and to these an elective in law would of course be very acceptable; while even to those who intend to follow mercantile pursuits an elementary knowledge of law would be of great, value.

No danger need be apprehended that the elective would fail for lack of support; for a study whose practical value is actively appreciated is much more earnestly pursued than a purely theoretical one. This is shown by the Law School, where the work of the average student far exceeds that of the same person in college. And particularly ought an elective in law to be given in the Collegiate Department of this University, in whose Law School an elementary knowledge of law is indispensable. It must be acquired before entrance, for no time for it is given afterward, and without it the studies of the first year cannot be advantageously pursued.

This preliminary study in Blackstone, Kent, or some similar text-book, can be much more profitably pursued under an instructor than by one's self; and the man who enters the Law School after having taken such a course has a much clearer understanding of his subject than one who has been over it alone, and is consequently enabled to profit more by his subsequent instruction. A great many men either lack the time or the energy to work up such a subject by themselves, who would eagerly embrace the opportunity of pursuing such a course were it offered to them; and it seems, though this would require the proof which experiment only can give, as if such a course would, together with the entrance examinations, raise the standard of scholarship in the Law School. Many men on graduation enter the Law School, forming a fair proportion of the class there. If this course could answer as a preparation for the work done in the Law School, it would be very generally taken by those expecting to enter the School, and even tend to raise scholarship in the School itself.

For the practical benefits to business and professional men, we think such an opportunity for the study of elementary law might be afforded us during the undergraduate course, and we are sure it would be a most popular as well as most profitable elective.

E. M. P.