THE RIGHT OF SUFFRAGE.

IN view of the great interest and importance of the next Presidential election, we would earnestly impress upon those of our readers who have just come of age, or who will do so before November, the duty of qualifying themselves to vote at an election in which the best interests of the country are so deeply concerned. For this purpose we have made, from Prof. Parsons's "Rights of a Citizen of the United States," the following resume of the qualifications required in those States from which most of our students come. In all the States a person must be a citizen of the United States, twenty-one years old, and must take a prescribed oath to support the Constitution and laws of the United States and of the State in which he offers his vote.

MASSACHUSETTS. - (488 students.) - A person may vote who has resided one year within the State, and six months within the city or town in which he offers his vote, and has paid a tax within two years, provided he is able to read the Constitution in the English language, and write his name.

NEW YORK. - (99 students.) - Every person has a right to vote who has been a citizen for ten days, and an inhabitant of the State for one year, and a resident of the county four months and of the district thirty days, all next preceding the election, and is not interested in any bet concerning the result of the election.

PENNSYLVANIA. - (24 students.) - Every person has a right to vote who has resided in the State one year, and in the election district where he offers his vote two months, next preceding his (the?) election; and if, being twenty-two years of age or more, he has paid a State or county tax, assessed at least two months and paid at least one month before the election.

MAINE. - (23 students.) - Every person has a right to vote who has resided in the State three months before election.

OHIO. - (21 students.) - Every person has a right to vote who has resided in the State one year next preceding the election. The legislature may prescribe a term of residence in the county, township, or ward in which the voter resides.

ILLINOIS. - (18 students.) - Every person may vote who resided in the State when the constitution was adopted, or has resided there one year before offering his vote, and in his election district thirty days.

MARYLAND. - (13 students.) - Every person may vote who has resided one year within the State and six months within the district or county in which he offers his vote.

There being no other State from which more than a dozen students have come to College, we cannot afford space to enlarge our list. If our readers desire further information, we shall be very glad to answer any questions they may ask us by letter or otherwise.