A BASE-BALL CASE.

THE University Nine, from its organization in 1865 down to the present time, has won one hundred and sixty-nine victories. From carelessness or some other cause, only ninety balls remain to attest these victories. Permission has been obtained to put a case in the auditor's room, Memorial Hall. The present case in Massachusetts is too small to contain the fifty-four balls we have won the past two years, and those already in it, - about forty in all. This fact, and the requirement that the case shall be made of chestnut to match the wood-trimmings in the hall, make it necessary to order a new one. A case nine feet long, six feet high, background of black cotton velvet, wire rests for the balls, sliding doors of plate glass, and the inscription carved in the top, will cost $175, - with common glass in the doors, $140.

The dimensions of the case may seem larger than is required; but allowance has been made for future additions, which we trust may never be wanting. Besides, it is intended to make the collection a complete one of the balls we have won by the University Nine since its organization in 1865. Second-hand balls will be purchased to take the places of those lost or not kept, fifty in all. These will be painted, and lettered with the name of the defeated club, score and date. The balls will cost $25, the painting, etc, of the balls now on hand and the number above mentioned, one hundred and thirty-three all together, will cost $20. These amounts and the cost of the case with plate-glass doors is $220; with common glass in the doors, $35 less.

If this last amount is raised by subscription in the four undergraduate classes, the nine will make up the extra amount for the plate glass. Only fifty cents in cash will be asked from each one who subscribes; and if each class gives at least $50, the inscription will be: H. U. B. B. C. Ex dono '78, '79, '80, '81. - 1878. If the subscriptions of any class fall below $50, its name will be omitted from the inscription, and no class will need to complain that it was not thoroughly canvassed.

The amount asked from each individual is not large: no class need claim the honor of having given more than another, and surely no class wishes to be left out of the inscription. We shall all leave a fitting reminder of Harvard's prowess in the ball-field of which we may well be proud.

The drawings of the new case may be seen in Bartlett's window during the coming week.

T.