ALL THINGS ARE NOT, ETC.

HE was a mild, inoffensive-looking person of about twenty-six summers, attired in a neat blue suit, and at the first glance would have been taken for one of those harmless young men of gentlemanly pursuits, and no visible means of support, whom one so often notices in our "Modern Athens."

To the more cautious observer, however, the shadow of a light but fiendish smile seemed to lurk beneath this fair exterior. As he swung gracefully on to an outward-bound car, several Cambridgians and "Cambridgets" bestowed curious glances on him. He dropped into the only vacant seat beside a Freshman, whose character has always been that of a truthful man.

"This car will carry me out to the College, will it not?" he asked, in a way so confiding that the T. F. opened his heart to him at once, possibly remembering how ignorant he was on this same subject six months ago.

"O yes, there are several cars that take us there," replied the T. F.

"You say us, so I suppose you are a student," inquired the New-Corner.

Hereupon the T. F. was inclined to be wroth at not being recognized at once, but recollecting that the stranger could hardly be expected to detect the embryo Soph at a glance, he choked down his wrath, and calmly said, -

"Yes, Freshman."

"Ah, then perhaps you can tell me something about the life at Harvard. Do the fellows drink, smoke, play cards for money, and bet, as at Yale?"

Here a hard, dissipated, and blase look tried to cross the Freshman's visage as he prepared to shock the N. C., but, suddenly thinking that the man might be a Herald reporter in feeble disguise, he foxily changed base, and replied, "As for smoking and drinking, I guess, as a rule, we are not so bad as the papers make out, but in betting we have to give odds to Yale."

"No doubt," said the N. C., with a sympathizing smile. "But what now is your opinion of the co-education of the sexes at Harvard? Don't you think it will result in the elopement of the prettiest girls to Illinois with the professors?"

By this time the T. F. had, as he thought, penetrated the "feeble disguise," and consequently tried hard to think of something sensational and alarming to tell him; but, failing in this, he was forced to put on his boldest look, and say he guessed the girls would n't bother the fellows.

"Well, don't you think they would giggle at Chapel, and cry when flunked in recitations, and would n't they organize a praying band and go round and shut up Adam's, and - "

The T. F. started and looked suspicious as the N. C. broke suddenly off, and rose, saying, "Thanks for information. Don't trouble yourself about a card. Here's mine." And with the light step and smiling face of a true philanthropist, passed rapidly up one of the side streets near Beck Hall and disappeared. The T. F. seemed amazed, but this was nothing to the expression which came over his face as he read on the pasteboard. -

LINCH PYN.

Prof. Chinese.

Harvard Coll.