TELEGRAPHIC BREVITIES.

FROM THE BOSTON HERALD.

The President has approved the anti-polygamy bill.

The star-route cases have been called to fix the date of final hearing.

An additional annuity of pound10,000 has been voted for Prince Leopold.

The strikers at Lawrence offer to let their contest with the mill managers be settled by arbitration.

The Proctor House at Andover, N. H., was burned yesterday, with a loss of $75,000.

A strike among the coal miners of western Pennsylvania has begun at Monongahela.

The floods in the Mississippi are abating. A total fall of four inches has taken place at Yazoo City.

A ministerial crisis is imminent in Egypt. Arabi Bey, the present war minister, will probably become premier.

Sullivan is anxious for another fight, and his trainer has made proposals for a contest with Dick Eagan for $500.

There was a lull in the New York stock market yesterday, and a slight reaction took place in favor of the bears.

Gen. Grant will leave Washington, where he has been the guest of President Arthur, on an extended southern tour next Tuesday.

The National Educational Convention, in session at Washington, has made an appeal for educational provision for the inhabitants of Alaska.

All the moulding shops at Troy, N. Y., but one or two, closed yesterday. 700 moulders are on a strike, and 2000 men are thus thrown out of employment.

The trunk-line agreement has been ratified in New York, and deposits have been made with Commissioner Fink as a guarantee for the carrying out.

Ex-Secretary Blaine claims that English bondholders are to get a large share of the Peruvian spoils in return for furnishing Chili the sinews of war.

The profits of the Pacific railroads for the past thirteen years amount to $157,716,640. This is in addition to the amounts received for the sale of lands.

The Union Rolling Mill strike at Chicago has ended in a compromise, and the furnaces start today. The strikers gained an increase of 12 to 15 per cent., but agree to work twelve hours per day.

In Congress a bill has been introduced for the admission of Washington Territory as a State. The House committee struck out from the post-office appropriation bill the franking privilege amendment inserted by the Senate. The committee on agriculture have reported an original bill to constitute the department of agriculture an executive department. The House naval committee favors the appropriation of $2,500,000 to complete the unfinished monitors. The House has passed the anti-Chinese bill, unamended.

THE WEATHER.WASHINGTON, D. C., March 24, 1882-1 A. M. For New England, partly cloudy weather, occasional light snow in the northern portions, southwest to northwest winds, falling, followed by rising barometer, colder weather during the night. Cautionary signals from Shoreham to Eastport.