HARVARD IN 1826.

In looking over a pile of old books, a few days ago, we found a little moth-eaten pamphlet of twenty-six pages, called "A Catalogue of the Officers and Students of the University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, September, 1826."

At that time Rev. John Kirkland, D. D., LL. D., was president, and the faculty numbered thirty members. The buildings, seven in number, were as follows : Divinity, Holworthy, Stoughton, Hollis, Massachusetts, College House and Second College House.

The number of students was as follows : Candidates for the ministry and theological students, 40; law students, 8; students attending medical lectures, 118; resident graduates, 5; senior sophisters, 42; junior sophisters, 55; sophomores, 66; freshmen, 36; total number, 370.

In regard to the requirements for admission at that time, we find the following : "To be received into the freshman class, the candidate must be thoroughly acquainted with the grammar of the Latin and Greek languages, including prosody; be able, properly, to construe and parse any portion of the following books, namely : Jacobs' Greek Reader, the Gospels in the Greek Testament, Virgil, Sallust and Cicero's Select Orations, and to translate English into Latin correctly. He must be versed in ancient and modern geography; the fundamental rules of arithmetick; vulgar and decimal fractions; proportion, simple and compound; single and double fellowships; alligation, medical and alternate; and algebra to the end of simple equations; comprehend, also, the doctrine of roots and powers, and arithmetical and geometrical progression. . . . . Every person, before admission to any of the classes or schools of the university, must exhibit proper testimonials of his moral character." Commencement, at that time, took place on the last Wednesday of August, and the summer vacation lasted six weeks.

The expenses per year were as follows :

Steward and commons, including board

for 42 weeks, at $1.75 per week, $83.50

Instruction for the first two years, 46.00

For the third and fourth, 64.00

Average, 55.00

Rent of room, 12.00

Library, 3.00

Text books, 12.50

Expenses of publick rooms, repairs, catalogues, etc., 10.00

The students find their own bed and furniture. Board in town has been from $2 to $3 a week.

Among the prominent names in the catalogue, we find that of Charles Sumner, a freshman, who then occupied No. 17 Hollis.