THE CANADIAN vs. THE AMERICAN GAME OF FOOT-BALL.

The spectators who witnessed the foot-ball match with the McGill College team last Monday were especially interested in their novel style of game. Their method of starting a scrimmage from a ball held down seemed on the whole rather a failure in our game. This is the regular method employed by elevens playing under the English rules and when both sides enter into these mauls the struggle is often quite exciting. But as our team is accustomed to play an open formation game they could quickly transfer the rushing across the field; a performance which made it rather embarrassing to the Canadian men, who were massed in another part of the field. Under their rules the game is apt to be very rough and dangerous, but at the same time not particularly lively or exciting; so, on the whole, the sentiment seems to be decidedly in favor of the American college game even among men who have played under each set of rules. The McGill men were surprised to see so much activity in our heavy rush line; they expected with their light, active men to run around our rushers and to come down together on the half-backs. They were also disconcerted by the kicking of the backs, which prevented their carrying the ball away from their part of the field.

McGill, and in fact all the Canada teams, are accustomed to play with fifteen men, and Monday they played thirteen as a compromise with Harvard's eleven.