The '83 class meeting was attended by about seventy men. Mr. Hayes acted as secretary in the absence of Mr. Nichols, class secretary. The president, Mr. Hubbard, stated that the meeting had been called to take action upon the crew, and laid the matter before the meeting as the business of the evening. Mr. Hammond spoke at length, deploring the situation of affairs, and reviewing the previous record of '83 as a boating class. He also explained why the 12th of May had been selected for the date of the race, saying that the two lower classes advocated that day, that the juniors were in favor of May 5, but not very strongly, and that the committee had heard nothing from the seniors on the subject.
After some desultory discussion, Mr. Hubbard took the floor, and moved that the executive committee be requested to change the date if possible. This motion was carried almost without a dissenting voice, so there is now no doubt about '83's position in regard to the date of the race.
To get at the important question as to whether or not a crew could be entered, the members of the crew were called upon to state their position. Of these Messrs. Hubbard, Binney and Perin stated their willingness to row on the fifth, with certain reservations if the race was rowed on the twelfth. Mr. Cabot was then nominated for the captaincy, but declined to serve under the circumstances, as the class could do absolutely nothing more until the decision of the executive committee was heard. The meeting adjourned with the understanding that if the executive committee decide for the 5th of May the crew should meet and elect a captain; if the 12th of May is adhered in, the matter shall again be brought up before a class meeting.