NOTES AND COMMENTS.

Amherst has 2,500 alumni, 100 of whom are missionaries, 900 ministers, 230 college professors, and 600 lawyers.

We feel like shaking hands with Yale and congratulating her on her remarkable success in the athletic arena during the season. In boating, base ball, and foot ball she stands at the head, and has every reason to be proud of her victories, since they have all been gained by hard work and diligent training. She has found opponents of no mean calibre in the other colleges, but has steadily held her own, and now stands forth, crowned with the laurels of success in every department. - [Bowdoin Orient.

The Cornell Era advocates equipping a freshman, and not a university crew this year. Speaking of Cornell's material for a freshman crew, the Era says: "They are a hardy set of men and will do the university credit if they are put in her boats. A healthy enthusiasm is being worked up among the freshmen, and the hearty support of several upper classmen, whose judgment in boating matters has considerable weight, is already assured. They have expressed themselves as favorable to the fitting out of a crew. And all the university are beginning to realize the disgrace which would follow the abandonment of the boating interests at such a time as this. . . . . There are many and powerful reasons why we should equip a freshman crew this year, and not a university crew.

Mortar-boards are not a success at Brown, judging from the following epitaph:

THE FRESHMAN'S EPITAPH.Here lies my little mortar-board,

Its glory all is fled;

I've laid it in its little grave.

To rest my weary head.

THE SOPHOMORE'S EPITAPH.Hic jacet parvum mortar-board,

Hoc moriendum est;

Hoc fatum expectavit id,

Cum primum emptum est.

THE JUNIOR'S EPITAPH.This gravestone I to thee direct,

Most grave and moral Gower;

The mortar-board which lies beneath,

Died in its natal hour.

THE SENIOR'S EPITAPH.We may discuss philosophy,

And metaphysics scan;

But dust to dust awaits alike,

Both mortar-boards and man.