UNIVERSITY CALENDAR.

NOVEMBER-DECEMBER, 1883.-NO. 96.

OCTOBER 21. SUNDAY.Appleton Chapel. Rev. E. E. Hale, D. D., 7.30 P. M. "For if a man thinketh himself to be something when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself."

23. TUESDAY.College faculty. Meeting at University 5, 3.30 P. M.

24. WEDNESDAY.Greek Readings. Frogs of Aristophanes. Prof. Goodwin. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

26. FRIDAY.The Cuneiform Inscriptions and the Old Testament. Special subject: Early Babylonian History. Professor Lyon. Upper Divinity Hall, 12 M.

27. SATURDAY.History and Methods of Classical Study. Prof. Allen. Sever 14, 11 A. M. These lectures, to be given on Saturdays during the first half-year, are intended for the guidance of those who have in mind a somewhat extended course of study in Classics. Any student who is taking courses in Greek or Latin is at liberty to attend them.

SENIOR FORENSICS.The first forensic will be due Nov. 1. Subjects as follows: 1. In the history of the past have wars helped or hindered the progress of civilization? 2. Discuss the comparative inducements to the study of law and theology. 3. Is a working knowledge of the French and German languages essential to the graduates of American colleges? 4. Define the sensational in literature.

JUNIOR FORENSICS.The first forensic will be due Oct. 25, at 2 P. M., in Sever 3. Subjects as follows: 1. In your opinion, what is the effect of the great increase of college athletics upon the intellectual vigor of the students? 2. Is it desirable that the university training of the present day should be of a more practical character? 3. Would England gain anything, politically, by the abolition of the monarchical form of government? 4. Was Julius Caesar actuated by criminal ambition in overthrowing the Roman Republic?

JUNIOR THEMES.Mr. Wendell will criticise the junior themes before the class, in Sever 11, on Tuesday, Oct. 23, at 2 o'clock.

He will return themes with criticisms in Sever 11, as follows: Section 1 (Alderson to Lothman) Thursday, Oct. 25, from 2 till 4.30 P. M. Section 2 (McCook to Yocum), on Thursday, Nov. 1, from 2 till 4.30 P. M.

ORCHESTRAL CONCERTS.A series of five concerts will be given in Sanders Theatre by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on the evenings of November 8, December 6, January 10, February 14, and March 20. Tickets at Sever's on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 9 A. M. Price for the series, $2.50. Each officer of the university, who resides in Cambridge, can obtain two tickets at the Bursar's office between 9 A. M. and 1 P. M. on Oct. 24.