HARVARD VS STEVENS.

HARVARD, 11; STEVENS, 2.

The eleven played the second game with the Stevens Institute eleven on Jarvis Field yesterday afternoon and defeated it by a score of one goal and two touchdowns to one touchdown and one safety, or according to the new method of scoring, eleven to two.

A heavy wind was blowing obliquely across towards the east goal and of course strongly favored the team having the opposite side of the field. Stevens won the toss and took the west goal. The ball was kicked off by Harvard at half-past three, In about two minutes Gilman secured the ball and carried it across Stevens' goal line, securing the first touchdown for Harvard. Austin at once punted the ball out and Cowling succeeded in gaining the goal by a very difficult kick, the ball being considerably off the side of the goal. Soon after the ball was brought our, Cowling made a long and fine kick which brought the ball down the field and compelled Stevens to make a safety touchdown. Shortly after the ball was put in play again, Peabody had a chance for a try-at-goal which however he missed. The ball gradually worked its way down to our end of the field but was soon brought back by a very fine run by Adams. By a very good pass on the part of Kimball, Austin succeeded in making another touchdown for Harvard, just seventeen minutes after the goal was kicked. Cowling made a try-at-goal from a drop kick but missed it by a very small margin.

The ball was soon brought down the field and on a muff by Cowling inside the goal line, Bush succeeded in gaining a touchdown for Stevens, her only point during the game The try-for-goal was a failure. The first three quarters ended with the ball directly in front of stevens' goal.

Immediately after the beginning of the second three-quartes, Kendall made a touchdown catching the ball from the Stevens' back before he could touch it down. The ball was lost however in the punt out. The ball kept rapidly changing hands, the play being very loose on both sides. After a time Cabot securing the ball made a fine run, but was unable to gain a touchdown. Harvard's loose playing at this point was varied by some very fine passing, which, however, proved disastrous in one instance, the ball being passed into the hands of one of the Stevens men. The play of the last three-quarters was on the whole very interesting, being varied, however, by a very fine kick from the field by Cowling, which just missed being a goal. Time was called with the ball in Stevens' half of the field. The best playing for Stevens was done by Worth the half-back, whose catching and kicking were very fine. All the rush line played well for Harvard and Cowling did some excellent kicking. The eleven does not drop on the ball yet as it should do, but shows great improvement in this direction over its play of a week ago. The teams were as follows: Stevens-Forwards, Williams, McCoy, Torrance, Cotiart, Bush, Kletzght, (captain), Hart ; quarter-back, Baldwin ; half-backs, Dilworth and Worth ; full -back, Maury. Harvard-Forwards, Adams, Kendall, Bonsal, Appleton Cabot, Hartley, Gilman ; quarter-back, Kimball; half-backs, Austin and Peabody, '87; Full-back, Cowling, '87. Umpire for Harvard. T. H. Cabot, '86; for Stevens, K. H. Munkwitz; referee, J. A. MacLue of Stevens.