THE GLEE CLUB-PIERIAN CONCERT.

The Pierian and Glee Club gave their first concert for this year in Sanders Theatre last night. It was one of the most successful that they had ever given. The solos by Messrs. Frederick (violin) and Forcheimer (violin alto) were warmly encored. Mr. Dorr, '83, sang with the Glee Club and was called out again and again. A new feature in the programme were several student songs from the German, which it is to be hoped will become popular. There has for some years past been a notable lack of new college songs. The same ones were sung year after year by the Glee Club. We therefore greet these fresh ones with pleasure, and hope that this stimulus from the Germans will call forth activity in song making among our own students. If men are to be found who are able to write new words and new music there is certainly a music-loving public of students who will sing the songs.

It is perhaps unnecessary to criticize the singing of the Glee Club, which is justified by its great popularity. We venture to suggest, however, that while it is characterized by great accuracy and precision, there is about it a certain stiffness and lack of sentiment. The modulation, crescendos, decrescendos are not so much attended to as one mingt expect. The voices are exclleent and the men in good training. if they could be led to sing with a little more sympathy their glees would be greatly improved. The faults to be found with the Pierian Sodality are precisely supplementary to these. In consideration of the short time they had to prepare their pieces (a little over two weeks) they made a fair showing, and a close observer could see the promise of very good things in the future. The men played in not particularly good time and some of the music was rather too hard for them. Reubenstein dances were a good selection, being not easily comprehensible and requiring perfect execution to make them effective. one could still hear through the playing of the Pierian a certain appreciation and coherence. If we may be allowed a suggestion we would say that with persistent work upon music not too difficult they will be able to play better than any set of men the college has seen collected in its orchestra.