TENNIS RACKETS.

Tennis, from all appearances, will be played this summer even more universally than before, and perhaps it would not be amiss to say a word or two concerning the new rackets for the coming year.

The small racket has now been tried for several years, and it seems that at last their uselessness is agreed upon by nearly all the prominent players of the country. Poorer players could not play with them at all, and their only pretension was aiding in swiftness when in the hands of good players, which is as easily attained in rackets of larger heads. The new styles have reached the other extreme, being of a larger size than has appeared before, and strong wrists will be necessary to successfully play with these, for if they are made of light weight the material will have to be thin, and consequently cannot resist with ease a volley or swift serve. To be of use they ought to weigh at least 141/2 oz., which is heavier than we are accustomed to. However, to a man who can wield easily a heavy racket, these will be of great service, for they will be very useful in serving, cutting and volleying. The "triangle" racket is the latest invention, and it will probably have a large sale with players of all classes, with some on account of its real usefulness, and with others on account of its exceedingly ugly shape. The top is flat and very wide so as to admit of quite a space wherein to return volleyed balls, and the curse at the top is very rightly done away with, as there was no use for it. The throat of the racket is also very wide and has the new under curve, which, leaving more space at that part of the racket, aids very materially in returning balls which are volleyed directly at a player. In fact, the manufacturers have prepared a racket suitable to all good players, and one that has a use for every inch of its space. it is fairly well made, but the gut seems quite thin and as if it would easily be broken. There are also rackets very much curved to make them of use for balls high and to one side, while the straight rackets are for those who are not good at judging the position of the ball, and besides there are all the old styles. We will, in fact, have no complaint to make in regard to rackets for the coming year. Our sole grievance is the wayward ways of the wicked little "mucker." H. '86.