THE REPUBLIC OF LIBERIA-ITS COLLEGE.

During the month of July last Rev. Edw. W. Blyden, D. D., LL. D., arrived in this country from Liberia, since which time the interest in the educational advancement of that country has greatly increased throughout America. Dr. Blyden is the president of Liberia College, is a fluent linguist (speaking no less than seven languages), and has done more to advance the prosperity of the negro race than many a statesman far more famed. The college curriculum is much more advanced than might be supposed, embracing a thorough course in classical Greek, with practice in the use of the modern tongue; the study of Latin through Caesar, Tacitus, Virgil and Livy; mathematics through conic sections, with especial attention to surveying and other practical applications; and a careful and thorough study of Arabic, the language of the interior. History and the modern languages are also studied. The aim of the institution is to furnish a practical, useful education to the young men of the country. Dr. Blyden appreciates the merits of the elective system, but feels that the country is too young, and the cause of education too limited, to allow its practical application in Liberia. Dr. Peabody is president of the American board of trustees of this college.

The growth of this little republic, whose yearly revenue scarcely exceeds $100,000, is indeed interesting. Practically an American colony, it adopted in the main our constitution; but had the wisdom to make certain changes therein. For instance, the president of the republic may restrict his veto to different items of an appropriation bill, instead of being forced, as with us, to accept that which is bad for the sake of what is good, or reject that which is good because the bad predominates.

Political parties exist, too, in Liberia, and are known as the "True Whigs" and the "Republicans" The former are the progressive or liberal element, and desire to extend the republic to neighboring tribes; the latter are the conservatives, and not only oppose such a course, but would restrict the privileges of Europeans who are in the republic. As an evidence that party feeling does not run high, it may be noted that both conventions recently united in the choice of a nominee for president. Two vice-presidents are in the field, however. Dr. Blyden expects to visit Harvard Thursday afternoon.