YALE'S NEW ATHLETIC GROUNDS.

In the spring of 1880 a movement was started by the junior class at Yale, which led to the appointment of the "Advisory Committee on Athletics," composed of four graduates. During the following year $5,000 were collected, and twenty-nine acres of land purchased by this committee. In 1882 the committee was merged into "The Yale Field Corporation," which was formed to manage the athletic grounds in question. On the 1st of June, 1884, the field purchased was thrown open. During the fall it was used for football and lacrosse. The field lies on the south side of Derby Avenue. The question of expense was decisive against purchasing a place nearer the college. The new field is one-sixth of a mile nearer the college than the old grounds. Soon after purchase fourteen acres of the land was cleared for use. The track is just a quarter of a mile long, and was laid out under the care of Mr. Rogers. Plans have been adopted for further improvement. The expense thus far has been $53,184.25 This puts the association somewhat in debt, but no doubt the money will soon be raised.-[Ex.