The Crews I.

There are many students interested in the work of their classmates in the rowing room, who, from a lack of time, are unable to spend a few hours at the gymnasium and form an idea of the comparative merits of the crews. For the benefit of these, the following account of the crews has been prepared.

As near after the last day in April as the tide permits, the class races will be rowed. Each class will have at present from 10 to 20 men in training. The candidates for the senior crew have among their number some of the strongest men in college. Indeed, several of the men are remarkable examples of the beneficial results of gymnasium training. The crew will probably be fully as heavy as the '85 crew of last year. Among the old men are J. E. Thayer, capt., C. F. Gilman, and B. B. Thayer. Sutton will not row this year, but will devote his time to coaching. In this way the benefit of his experience will not be entirely lost to the crew. The men were rowing as follows last week:

NAME. WEIGHT.

1. W. Cowdin, 148

2. E. T. Edgerly, 168

3. S. P. Read, 168

4. S. L. Foster, 159

5. R. S. Gorham, 150

6. O. S. Howard, 157

7. B. B. Thayer, 172

8. J. G. Mumford, 155

9. J. E. Thayer. 161

10. C. F. Gilman, 178

Harrington and Hansen will go into training later. Just after the holidays, when the crews have been rowing but a few weeks, they are not to be distinguished by any particular style of rowing. Each crew usually has a great many faults which are common to all beginners. If a general criticism were to be passed upon the candidates of the senior crew, it would doubtless be that the arms and shoulders are made to do part of the work of the back.

The juniors have sixteen candidates at work, and hope to be strengthened by the addition of Hamlin, of last years university crew. The crew will probably be a light one, although there are some heavy and powerful men among them: Vogel, Brown, Roberts, Ayer and Capt. Latham were members of last year's crew. The first eight:

NAME. WEIGHT

1. F. S. Churchill, 146

2. E. D. Codman, 153

3. S. H. Fessenden, 146

4. A. H. Vogel. 160

5. G. P. Hurd, 155

6. C. R. Brown, 147

7. O. B. Roberts, 169

8. J. H. Huddleston, 176

9. J. C. Ayer, 161

Stroke. W. R. Dewy, 164

The second eight:

S. D. Richardson, 145

C. L. Harrison, 163

M. W. Richardson, 166

C. C. Burnett, 150

Stroke. R. F. Rogers, 175

The juniors may be said to lack energy or snap, more regularity in the stroke should be obtained. Although the second eight is not rowing in as good form as the first eight, it is highly probable that some of the men who are strong and heavy will obtain seats in the boat. In the absence of Harris, who is a candidate for the university crew, Dewey is being tried for the position of stroke. For a new man, he is rowing in good form and sets an even stroke.

The Sophomores will profit by the wise policy of their captain of last year in keeping four substitutes at work. As a rule the sophomore crews at Harvard loose a large number of the men who rowed in their freshmen year. Either they are wanted for the university crew, or they are obliged for various reasons to stop rowing after one years experience. The '87 crew, however, have at present five of last year's oarsmen, although six of their men are now candidates for the university crew. Fiske, the captain is rowing stroke this year. The crew rows as follows :

NAME. WEIGHT.

1. W. Alexander, 154

2. B. Tilton, 159

3. J. F. Russell, 155

4. F. Remington. 154

5. F. S. Coolidge, 150

6. W. N. Rantoul, 159

7. A. S. Hardy, 145

8. T. B. Scott, 160

9. W. A. Brooks, 171

Stroke. R. P. Fiske, 156

It it highly probable that the crew at a later period will be reinforced by one or two of the present candidates of the university crew. The crew is at present rowing in very good form. There are of course many individual faults, but of the crew as a whole, it may be said that the time is good, with the exception of that of number nine, and that the body-swing back ward and forward is well controlled. The men should be careful to keep the shoulders down, the chest active, and the arms straight until the back ward swing of the body has been completed. Mumford, '87, is acting as coach.

The composition of the freshman crew will be decided upon in a few days, when an account of it and the university crew will be given.