An Old Document.

A few days ago a gentleman interested in college journalism was skating swiftly over the glassy surface of the winding Charles, when he spied loosely imbedded in the broken ice along the bank an odd-shaped and quaint old bottle which looked as though it might have come over in that receptacle of all New England relics, the Mayflower. Now although the gentleman in question disclaims any attraction to or for bottles in general, this particular bottle proved too alluring, and a closer inspection was the result.

Within was found a very old, but carefully preserved account of the acts of an ancient King. The similarity between these acts and same which have happened within recent years, leads us to the conclusion that after all "There is nothing new under the sun."

The document, which has been translated, was as follows :-

In the days of good King Karlos and his Queen, Alma Mater, it came to pass that there journeyed to the realms of this much loved King a band of youths who, from their number, were called the nine. And from these, it is said, in after ages came the nine muses. Now the nine found great favor in the eyes of all the people and their concerts, which were often called balls, were widely attended. Rich and poor, high and low, gathered upon the fields on warm sunny afternoons after four o'clock, (for at this hour the shops were closed by the order of the much loved King), and watched the nine disporting upon the turf, which, because of its richness, was surnamed the Diamond.

In time, however, the good King became jealous of the regard which his beloved people had for this band, and determined to do them injury. He accordingly summoned to his royal presence on the hill, his Lord High Chamberlin and Keeper of the Garden Walks, and bade him issue a manifesto forbidding the nine to publish notices of their balls within his royal domains, and from this there was no appeal. Thus did the king deal with the nine.

Now the people, hearing of this edict, were much grieved, and said one to another, "Will our king forbid us to read the newspapers if they contain notices of the sports of this band? If this be the case, our lost will indeed be an unhappy one." With this they all departed, each to his own home, saying in his heart, "Verily the gods are kind to us in that they have given us such a good king to reign over us."

TRAH.