THE REVISED FOOT-BALL RULES.

At the meeting of the American Inter-collegiate Foot-ball Association last fall the rules were modified in many essential particulars. The object of the revises was to give as little chance as possible for rough and brutal play. After the battle in New York between Yale and Princeton, public opinion demanded a change of rules which would do away with the brutality which had characterized that game and in less degree other foot-ball games last fall.

The first change was made in regard to touch-downs. Rule 4 now reads, "when the ball is carried across the goal line, it shall be a touch-down at the place where it was carried across. In opponent's goal, this entitles to a try at goal; in player's own goal to a kick out." By the old rules the ball had to be actually touched down by a player before he could claim the ball as his. This always occasioned the roughest of play. Sometimes a player would seize the ball and then lay on his back, holding fast the ball all the time, in order to prevent his opponents from securing a touchdown. Men were often severely injured in this way.

Rule 11 makes it unnecessary for a man to cry "down" when he has the ball; the referee can say "down" whenever he thinks the tussle has gone far enough.

Rule 13, referring to maul in goal is struck out entirely. This will prevent the fierce fights which are made so often when the holder of the ball is tackled inside the goal line.

Rule 17, numbered 18 in old rules reads, "In every match there shall be one paid referee, and he absolute. The same referee shall officiate at all championship matches." This does away with the judges who in reality were little more than field captains, and often caused the referee much trouble.

Rule 18. "For intentional delay of game or off-side play, at first offence one point shall be given to opponents, at second offence, one more point, and the offender dismissed from the field. For intentional violation of rules 16 and 27 (referring to off-side play, hacking, throttling, butting, tripping up, etc.) a player shall be disqualified and two points given to the other side." This treatment of off-side and unfair play will prevent the many tricks which are often permitted on the foot-ball field. Intentional delay of the game also gives the opponents points and the offender is sent from the field.

Rule 21, add, "Either side refusing to play within five minutes after ordered to by the referee, shall forfeit the game." This rule was made necessary on account of the delay at the Princeton-Yale game in New York.

Rule 31 makes it impossible for the man who receives the ball when snapped back from a "down" or thrown back from a "fair" to carry the ball forward under any circumstances.

Rule 33, referring to maul in goal is omitted.

By a perusal of the above changes, it will be found that the referee is given almost unlimited power; he can declare the ball "down" whenever he sees fit, disqualify a player for off-side or unnecessarily rough play, and declare a game forfeited if either side should seek to gain anything by delay. He is absolute, no one can question his decisions, and he is unhampered by judges. With the proper man as referee, there is no reason why the game should not be entirely freed from its objectionable features.