Death of Mr. Sibley.

THE UNIVERSITY MEETS WITH A SAD LOSS.

The sad news of the death of John Langdon Sibley, Librarian Emeritus of the University, has been made known to the college. Mr. Sibley had been ill for a long time, and his death is no great surprise to his family and friends. In spite of the distressing nature of his illness, he was calm and patient to the last.

Mr. Sibley was born in 1804, at Union, Maine. He fitted for college at Phillips Academy, entering in 1819, at the early age of 15. Upon his graduation from the academy he entered Harvard, and was graduated with the class of '25. During his college course he received the appointment of assistant librarian, and performed the duties of the position until 1856, when he was appointed librarian. In this position he served, with some slight interruptions, until 1877, when failing eyesight compelled his retirement. His valuable services were appreciated by the college, and in recognition of them the title of Librarian Emeritus was conferred upon him.

After leaving the college, Mr. Sibley completed the course in the Divinity School, after which he was installed as pastor of the First Church, at Stowe. He remained in his pastorate until 1837, and then took up his residence in Cambridge, and resumed his college duties.

The literary work of Mr. Sibley calls for some comment. He was editor-in-chief of the "American Magazine of Useful and Entertaining Knowledge." The triennial catalogues since 1840 have been edited by him, and he had charge of the publication of the annual catalogues from 1850 to 1870. He was also author of the "History of Union, Maine," and of three volumes of biographical sketches of Harvard graduates. In 1856, Bowdoin College honored him with the degree of A. M., as a testimonial of appreciation of his literary services.

His name will long be held in memory by those whom he aided in obtaining an education. His sympathies were always with those who were struggling to attain a college degree, without sufficient means to accomplish their purpose, and he was ever ready to give any assistance in his power to such students. A fund of $20,000 was given by him to Phillips Academy for the purpose of founding scholarships for the support of the poorer students.

Besides the extremely successful manner in which he performed the duties of librarian, the college has to thank him for the zeal he displayed in obtaining valuable donations to the library. Through his influence many gifts of money were received, as well as valuable contributions of rare books and coins.

His name was widely known, and the universal respect in which he was held is shown by the expression of sorrow found in the daily press.