"CONGRESSIONAL GOVERNMENT;" WOODROW WILSON; HOUGHTON, MIFFLIN AND CO.

A recent contribution to the rapidly increasing number of works on political history and science is the volume under the above title. from the pen of Woodrow Wilson, Fellow of Johns Hopkins. The work is a clearly written exposition of the method by which our governmental machinery is run. The majority of American voters have but a crude conception of the labors which lie before each incoming congress, and a still more indefinite idea of the way in which these labors are performed. It is with interest, and often with surprise, that one reads the description of the extraordinary powers conferred upon the House committees, which, in reality, are the potent factors in our national legislation. After gaining from this work some slight comprehension of our legislative system, one is not surprised at the recent remarks of President-elect Cleveland. Said he to a congressman, "How are you gentlmen at Washington getting on?" "Oh," said the congressman, "pretty well." "I don't think so." said Cleveland, quite emphatically. "Congress doesn't work expeditiously. Its rules are simply abomnible."

The work is one which ought to find a place upon the shelves of every student, especially of such as are engaged in the study of political science.