THE NEW HAVEN GAME.

THE BLUE OUTPLAYED AT THE BAT AND IN THE FIELD.

It is seldom that an audience of 4,000 is attracted by the announcement of an inter-collegiate game, yet that is the number that passed through the gates of the Yale Athletic Grounds last Saturday. The spacious new grandstand was densely packed with specta tors, Yale students for the most part, while crowds took up their position along the ropes stretching toward first and third bases: In the rear of the spectators some two score of drags, barouches, and dog-carts took their positions, laden with the lady supporters of the Blue and their escorts. Soon after three o'clock the cry of "Harvard this way !" lustily shouted by half a hundred wearers of the Crimson, summoned the Harvard delegation of almost 200 to a point behind first base, where the party took seats upon the turf, and prepared to give a hearty support to the Cambridge nine. Looking from this point the scene was a very beautiful one, taking in the ground stand with its crowded audience; the long lines of carriages, bright with the blue parasols of their fair occupants; the level turf of the diamond, dotted here and there with crimson or blue clad players, the whole standing out distinctly against back-ground of the clear May sky. Repeated cheers welcomed the appearance of the nines upon the field, doubly repeated when any good play called for commendation.

THE GAME.The game opened with Harvard at the bat. Beaman his a grounder to Odell and was promptly retired at first. Tilden followed his example, striking to Terry, who fielded to Stewart. When Nichols came to the bat the fielders were directed to come in, but Nichols upset all calculations by lifting the ball over centre fielders head for three bases, only to be left on base, however. for Allen went out on a long fly to left field. Terry opened the game for Yale by striking out. Bremner was put out at first by Willard, assisted by Allen, and Merrill hit to Wiestling, who fielded to first. In the second inning, Willard hit a high fly to right firld, which Willett muffed, allowing Willard to reach second. He took third on a passed ball, where he was left by Smith's and Foster's flies to left field, and Wiestling's strike out. Yale got her first score in this inning. Stewart was given his base on balls, stole second, and came home on Hickox's three bagger. The next two men struck out leaving Hickox on third. Odell's arm was too lame to allow him to pitch any longer, so Willett was called in from right field to fill the pitcher's box, his place being taken by Odell. He succeeded in blanking in the third inning, but an error by short stop, and a wild pitch gave Allen a run in the fourth inning Yale scored 1 run in the third inning through Bremner, who got his first on balls, and came around on sacrifice hits. Yale was blanked in the next inning. The score now stood 2 to 1 in favor of Yale, the game up to this point being intensely exciting. In the fifth inning however, Harvard did wonderful work with the bat, while Yale made numerous errors and showed herself thoroughly rattled. The result was that Harvard scored seven runs, two of which were earned. Yale also succeeded in bunching her hits in this inning and scored two runs. The rest of the game was marked by heavy hitting by Harvard, who scored one more run in the seventh, and three in the ninth inning, while Yale was kept down to one base-hit and blanked for the last three innings.

Nichols pitched a fine game for Harvard, and was well supported by Allen, while Willard, Winslow, and Nichols did the best batting. Terry did good work for Yale in the field while Sheppard did the best work at the bat.

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Beaman, 3b., 6 0 1 2 5 2 0

Tilden, l. f., 5 1 1 2 0 1 0

Nichols, p., 4 2 2 4 1 17 3

Allen, c., 5 3 1 1 11 3 1

Willard, 1b., 5 3 3 7 8 0 3

Smith, 2b., 4 0 0 0 1 1 1

Wiestling, s. s., 4 1 0 0 0 3 1

Foster, c. f., 4 1 1 1 0 0 1

Winslow, r. f., 5 1 3 4 1 0 0

Totals, 42 12 12 21 27 27 10

YALE.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Terry, 2b., 3 1 1 1 6 5 1

Bremner, c., 3 2 1 3 4 0 5

Merrill. c. f., 4 0 1 1 1 0 0

Lyon, 3b., 4 0 0 0 0 2 2

Stewart, 1b., 3 1 0 0 10 0 0

Hickox, s.s., 4 0 1 3 1 2 1

Sheppard, l. f., 4 0 2 4 4 0 1

Willett, r. f. and p., 4 0 0 0 0 4 10

Odell. p. and r. f., 3 0 0 0 1 2 1

Totals, 32 4 6 12 27 15 21

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 0 0 1 7 0 1 3 0-12

Yale, 0 1 1 0 2 0 0 0 0-4

Earned Runs, Harvard 4; Yale, 2. Two Base Hits, Beaman, Tilden, Winslow, Three Base Hits, Nichols, Willard, (2), Bremner, Hickox, Sheppard. First Base on Balls by Nichols, 3; Willett, 4. First Base on Errors, Harvards 5; Yale, 2. Struck Out by Nichols, 14; by Odell, 1; by Willett, 2. Double Play, Terry and Stewart. Passed Balls, Allen, 1; Bremner, 5, Wild Pitches, Willett, 3. Left on Bases, Harvard 5; Yale 4. Umpire, T. H. Donovan. Time, 3 hours, 5 minutes.