A Class Day Custom.

Harper's Monthly is responsible for the follwing account of an old custom at Trinity College on class day, known as the "Presentation of the Lemon Squeezer." "This custom, it need hardly be said, is peculiar to Trinity, and, as the 'Lemon Squeezer' of class day is something not met with in every day life, a word of description is pertinent. It is a plain piece of mechanism, devoid of much ornamentation. It is revered and prized, not so much for its intrinsic value as for the memories which cluster around it, and are, upon auspicious occasions, squeezed out of it! The material used in its construction is chiefly pine board, relieved at its further extremity by two hinges of brass, added more for practical use than for external embelishment. Upon its face are various dates of presentation, together with the mottoes of the classes who have been its fortunate reciepients; upon its reverse side, Trinity is lettered in green and white, the college colors, with '57 below, this being the date of the establishment of the custom. The popularity of a class in college became the sine qua non to obtain the 'Lemon Squeezer,' and as a general thing, fitness depended upon a long list of 'adventures.' However that may be, the receiving class was compelled to keep watch and guard over the relic, iminure it within bank vaults, and take the utmost precaution lest it be wrested away from them. It is customary for each class to append a lemon to the 'Squeezer,' and also to add their color to the bunch of ribbons which flaunt themselves at the further extremity. Previous to its appearance on class day, the 'Squeezer' is exhibited to the class for which it is intended, and the exhibition is one in which the old relic is made to perform a part, one of the lemons flavoring the punch drank upon the occasion being squeezed in it by every member of the receiving class."