The Sargent Purse.

The following announcement was yesterday posted on the college bulletin board: -

In 1886 the sum of one hundred dollars, given for the purpose by John Osborne Sargent, of the class of 1830, will be awarded in one or more prizes for the best metrical version or versions (of sufficient merit) of a lyric poem of Horace. The whole amount may be awarded, at the discretion of the judges, to the competitor; or it may be divided among not more than three competitors in sums apportioned to the merits of their respective versions.

The poem selected is the Second Epode, beginning: Beatus ille, qui procul negotiis.

Students in regular standing in any department of the University may compete for this prize.

The versions must be neatly and legibly written upon letter paper of good quality, of quarto size, with a margin of not less than one inch at the top and bottom, and on each side. They must be deposited in the office of the Dean of the College Faculty on or before May 1, 1886. Each version must have inscribed upon its title-page an assumed name of the writer, and must be accompanied by a sealed envelope containing the writer's real name and superscribed with his assumed name.