Communication.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I am thoroughly glad to know that the work of collecting money for a new reading room has been organized among us and that subscriptions are coming in from the men in college. We could not find a better way to show the freinds of the college outside that the need is a pressing one and that we are in earnest and do not mean to let our present insufficient accommodations remain as they are if we can help it,

We cannot collect the whole $200,000 here in college, but let us not be willing that any small sum should represent the measure of our interest in it. If we can get twenty or twenty-five thousand dollars pledged by college students or through them we shall have an argument which, backed by the strong statements of the Overseers'Committee, the President and the Librarian in their recent reports, will carry conviction to the hearts of our generous alumni better than any words we can put on paper.

There need be no difficulty in raising twenty-five thousand dollars. To be sure it is probably far beyond what we can individually and personally give, but let each man consider himself a special committee of one to wake up the interest of his family and of his friends in the undertaking, and we have an indefinitely larger number of sources to draw upon.

To accomplish what we want, we must all unite in putting it through. The men of slender means must give what they can afford, and the rich men must not be satisfied with a five or ten-dollar subscription. We want both a large number of subscriptions and a large gross sum. The first depends upon the co-operation of everyone, the second on the help of the rich men.

A RESIDENT GRADUATE.