A Sermon by Mr. Moody.

An audience which completely filled Appleton Chapel greeted Mr. Moody last evening on the occasion of his address to the students. Mr. Moody spoke earnestly and with rare power illustrating his idea by pungent and interesting anecdotes which captivated his hearers. One very striking illustration will long be remembered by all who heard it. A farmer on one of the northern railroad lines witnessed a land-slide across the railroad track shortly before the time of an express train. It was in the evening. The man could not reach a telegraph station, and lighting a lantern, he started up the track to stop the train. But he fell, as he heard the train approaching, and broke his lantern, extinguishing the light. With no match his only resource was to stand by the track and as the train thundered past, cast the broken lantern into the locomotive caboose and cry "hold her!" The engineer heard the cry and stopped the engine just before the slide. In applying the anecdote Mr. Moody said with great earnest, "I cast a broken lantern at your feet this evening and beg you to hear the warning." Mr. Moody's words were forcible and practical throughout and must have stirred many a man to the very bottom of his nature.