The Yale University Crew.

Only four members of the last year's crew are at Yale this year. Of these, Captain Cowles is probably the only one that will row, and so there are seven positions to be filled in the university boat. Although there are so few experienced oarsmen in college, great interest is shown, and the candidates are in vigorous training. There are at present fourteen candidates: Appleton, '86, Vernon, '86; Farrington, '86, S.; Bigelow, Burke, Caldwell, Copley, Hartridge, Middlebrook and Rogers, '87; Farrington and Stevenson, of '88; Corbin and Woodruff, '89.

The course of training the crew practices consists in running and walking three or four miles each day, generally out of doors, and then general exercise in the gymnasium, where they row from three to four hundred strokes on the hydraulic rowing machines, and then the calisthenics are finished off with a bath.

It is too early yet to make any prediction as to the make up of the crew, but without doubt the men composing it will be very strong oarsmen. It is, of course, a great drawback that these men have had little or no experience on the water, but still, with the assistance of a good coach, the Yale crew promises to be as strong this year as it has ever been.