The Mathematikado.

"TRIG CEREMONIES" AT VASSAR.

Nearly all college students are accustomed to celebrate in some way their joy at the completion of their apprenticeship to mathematics. Some of them when they have finished the Trigonometry bury it with more or less solemn rites; others burn it at the stake, and others resort to more hilarious performances. At Vassar the middle of the sophomore year closes the study of trigonometry and is also the end of the prescribed course, and the students thereafter are permitted to elect what branches they will pursue. It is therefore an important epoch in college life, and the "Trig Ceremonies" are always made the occasion of a general celebration by the sophomores, who invite the freshmen to attend and take warning by their experience. The usual chief event is a play, more or less appropriate to the occasion.

This year the class of '88 appointed a clever committee of arrangements, two members of which, Misses Lewi and Rich, wrote a play which they styled "The Mathematikado," and which, as might be inferred from its name, was a parody, and a very clever one, upon the noted production of Messrs. Gilbert and Sullivan.

The persons implicated in the play were the Mathematikado (a Braisilian by birth); Ayty Ayt, (a clever youth, in love with Trig Trig); Trig Trig, (a favorite of the Mathematikado); Latisha and Bot Ah Nee, ladies whom Ayty Ayt has paid court to, but of whom he has become tired; three little Ayty Nyns, admirers of Trig Trig; and a chorus of villagers of the town of Rum-I-pu.

The scenery used on the occasion was very well adapted, the stage in one scene being an exact reproduction of room I, which is occupied by Miss Braislin, the Professor of Mathematics. The costumes were Japanese, with the exception of that of Latisha, which was classical. The Mathematikado wore a black robe of angular cut, embellished with geometrical figures in white; Trig Trig on the contrary was a pretty young girl in white, with wondrous problems pictured on her dress in black lines and figures; Ayty Ayt was an interesting and susceptible young man; and Bot Ah Nee wore a gown embroidered with a remarkable collection of vegetables, ferns, roots and flowers.

This burlesque was one of the most successful things of the kind given in Vassar for a long time. The parodies on the principal songs of the Mikado were all of them clever, that on Ko Ko's song, "I've got him on the list," especially so.

As some day it may happen that a college I must found,

I've got a little list, I've got a little list

Of college life offenders who might well be under ground,

And who never would be missed, who never would be missed,

There's the pestilential nuisance who didn't come for work,

Who cut their classes every one, and all their duties shirk.

All tender invalid students who half their classes miss,

All persons who in taking ex., take exercise like this,

All friendly ones whose lengthy calls we hardly dare resist,

They'd none of 'em be missed - they'd none of 'em be missed.

&c., &c.

- Poughkeepsie Eagle.