Pierian-Glee Club Concert.

The concert of the two musical clubs last evening attracted an audience larger than was ever known before within the memory of any present undergraduate, but it was no more than the excellence of the performance deserved. An unusually large share of the work fell to tho Pierian, a fact which was gratifying, as it showed that greater confidence is now felt in the ability of the instrumentalists. The performance of this part of the programme was quite up to the usual standard. The "Turkish March" by Beethoven was particularly well received. The effect of the "Pizzicato Polka" was somewhat marred by an unfortunate want of harmony in the brass. A very pleasing episode occured after this piece, when Mr. Cary, president of the Sodality, stepped forward and in behalf of the members, presented Mr. Forchheimer with a gold-tipped baton as a token of their appreciation of the zeal and efficiency with which he has performed the duties of conductor.

The Glee Club did itself credit as usual, as for instance in some of the quartets. The college songs were largely new, and one or two were unusually taking. A familiar Strauss waltz was sung in excellent style, and seemed to be the most popular thing on the programme. Another feature was the fine rendering of a lovely little "Lullaby," by Brahms. The performance closed with an arrangement of Handel's "Largo," for chorus and orchestra. In this was presented the most artistic work of the evening. The body of tone produced by the strings was remarkably full and even, and the entrance of the voices at the climax of the movement was very effective.