Hazing at Yale.

DECISIVE ACTION OF THE YALE FACULTY.

W. W. Ater of St. Louis, Mo., a member of the junior academic class, was summoned before the Yale faculty tonight to answer to a charge of hazing E. Rowe, Jr., of this city, a member of the freshman class. Rowe appeared before the faculty accompanied by his father, and stated that Ater and his companions took him to a saloon and, after making him drink milk from a nursing bottle, stripped a portion of his clothing from his body and made him dance a jig and sing songs.

President Dwight expressed the opinion that Ater had violated rule 44 of the college, which provides that "if a student interferes with personal liberty of a member of another class or offers him any indignity or insult, he may be permanently suspended from his class." The faculty then unanimously voted to expel Ater and to further consider the charges against other sophomores charged with the same offense. The action of the faculty has caused a decided sensation, a similar action not having been taken in eight years.- Record.