Yale Wins the Championship.

YALE, 17; HARVARD, 8.

[From our Special Correspondent.]

NEW YORK, NOV. 25, 1887.

About 18,000 people witnessed the deciding game for the football championship between Harvard and Yale. Harvard was well represented on the coaches and in the seats.

Yale had the choice and took the ball, Harvard defending the east goal. Play was called and Beecher started to run, but was downed after advancing a few feet. Gill followed with a short run, as did Graves also. On the fourth down the ball went to Harvard. Corbin interfered, causing Harding to fumble, and Beecher dropped on the ball. On a fumble by Yale, Porter got the ball, and, in trying to run, ran outside the fair line. Another rush was made by Porter and Sears followed him, but ran outside. The ball was now taken in five yards to a down. Porter and Wood made good rushes and Boyden advanced five yards. Porter again gained five yards, but the ball remained in the middle of the field and was surrendered to Yale on four downs. Graves now tried to rush. The ball was fumbled by Yale, and Cumnock dropped out. Rushes by Butler, Boyden and Porter advanced the ball fifteen yards, but it was carried outside. Beecher attempted a run, but was downed by Porter. A kicking match was now tried between Bull and Sears, and the latter, from a down, carries the ball well up the field. Runs by Boyden and Porter advanced the ball to the thirty-yard line. It was now expected that Harvard would score, but Yale managed to secure the ball through a fumble. It was passed out to Graves, '91, who made a rush around the end. An interference on the part of Yale gave Harvard the ball and Porter gained some ground. Sears made a short run and Butler carried the ball twenty yards further up the field before being forced outside. Porter gained five yards more. At this point in the game, Graves, '88, one of the Yale halfbacks, hurt his leg, and his place was taken by Wurtemburg. The ball went to Yale and Gill made his usual plunge through the rush line, but failed to gain ground. Bull kicked to Sears, who made a good rush. Corbin again interfered, as in fact he did constantly throughout the game, and Harvard was given five yards. Porter tried rushing, but was unable to gain anything. so the ball went to Yale. Beecher now tried his little game, but was immediately tackled, as was also Wurtemburg. At this point, Corbin, without putting the ball in play, ran through the center. According to all former interpretations of the rules, this is not allowable, but Hancock, the referee, decided the point against Harvard and Corbin was allowed a few yards. Gill and Beecher succeeded in advancing the ball, and carried it directly in front of Harvard's goal. The ball was passed to Bull, who kicked a magnificent goal. Score: Yale, 5; Harvard, 0. When play began again, rushes were made by Harding and Porter. Yale got the ball and Graves attempted a rush, but was stopped by Bancroft. Bull was tackled by Harding. After this Wurtemburg made a short run, and Graves tried also, but Sears stopped him. The ball was now well up towards Harvard's goal. Corbin tried a short run, and directly after made another rush from a down and secured a touchdown, which was allowed. This was protested again, as the center rush cannot run with the ball, but the referee was immovable. A goal was kicked from the touchdown. Score: Yale, 11; Harvard, 0. The ball was again placed in the center of the field and passed to Harding who made a short run. Yale soon got the ball, but Bancroft stopped Bull and Woodman dropped on the ball from Beecher's fumble. Woodman gained five yards, and Sears taking the ball carried it to the forty-yard line. When time was called he was just carrying the ball over the line, but the claim of touchdown was not allowed.

When the second half began, Harding made a long run and Porter following him, was not stopped until he had reached Yale's twenty-yard line. Yale secured the ball and Bull kicked it out to Sears who caught it, but was downed in the middle of the field. Sears, Boyden and Porter now made short rushes. The ball was punted over to Yale but Bull returned it, and Woodman and Boyden gained some ground by rushed, in which Sears took part. At this point, Cumnock was disqualified and Appleton took his place. Boyden now made the finest run of the game, but on the next down Harvard fumbled and Yale got possession of the bail. Bull punted and Porter tried for a fair catch. He was prevented and a claim of interference was allowed, this giving Harvard five yards. Sears, Wood and Boyden each made five yards but the ball soon went to Yale on four downs. It was now within two feet of Yale's goal line. Bull tried to punt it out but Trafford stopped the kick and Wurtemburg made a touchdown for safety. Score, Yale 11, Harvard, 2. Yale punted the ball out, but Sears when about to return it was tackled by Beecher. Wallace now withdrew from the game being somewhat lame, and Robinson took his place. Kicking was now done by both sides. Sears was obliged to retire and Saxe took his place. In two kicks Saxe drove the ball well down the field. Porter and Saxe both made good runs, and at last the former made a magnificent rush, dodged through the whole Yale team and secured a touchdown. Saxe kicked a beautiful goal from it. The ball when in play again, was carried far off at one side. On being brought out, Gill and Woodruff carried it well forward but Graves finally ran outside. Gill tried another rush but was well tackled by Appleton. On four downs the ball went to Harvard, but Yale soon got it again. Graves and Corbin made good rushes, and Wurtemburg getting the ball ran around the end and secured a touchdown. Bull kicked the goal. Score, Yale 17, Harvard 8. Just as Harvard was starting out again time was called.

Although Harvard lost the, it reflects no discredit on the team, for every man did his work faithfully. When in the first half, the score stood against us, the men did not give up in the slightest, but played a magnificent uphill game. Harvard had an even chance for success, but it lost. It was the greatest game ever seen in New York, and the usual uproar and excitement accompanied it.