RAH! RAH! RAH! '91.

HARVARD, 6; YALE, 2.

About fifty freshmen accompanied their team to New Haven and had the satisfaction of seeing it defeat the Yale freshmen in a very exciting game of foot-ball. The teams were made up as follows: Harvard-Rushers, Cumnock, Goldthwaite, Higgins, Horn (center), Finely, Burnett, White; quarterback, Nichols; halfbacks, Clark and Weld; fullback, Crane. Yale-Rushers, Perrin, Rhodes, Forster, Brewster (center), Ferris, Heyworth, McClintock; quarterback, Roby; halfbacks, Rogers and Harvey; fullback, McBride.

At half-past two o'clock, Mr. Alexander, the referee, placed the ball and called play. Yale had the kick-off, and passing the ball to a rusher, tried the V trick, by which five yards were gained. On the third down the ball was kicked over, but Yale's rushers got through and secured it again, fifteen yards further down the field. After two downs, Harvard got the ball and rushes by Weld carried it forward ten yards. Goldthwaite tried to rush, but dropped the ball. It was passed to Clark, who rushed through and made a touchdown, but the referee decided that the ball was not in play. Yale now began a kicking game, and at once gained twenty-five yards. The umpire gave Yale fifteen yards for questionable offside play. Burnett secured the ball by breaking through and dropping on it, and Clark gained fifteen yards by a rush. Yale got the ball and McBride made a long kick to Crane, who caught it, but it was given back to Yale for a foul, on Harvard's twenty-five yard line. On four downs the ball went to Harvard but Yale soon got it again on a fumble. Nichols broke through and dropped on the ball. Clark made a long punt and Cumnock got under it and had it down. Yale finally got the ball and after a short run by the center rush, kicked it over. Crane dropped on it. The ball was brought out to the twenty-five yard line and Nichols made five yards. At this point in the game, Higgins was disqualified and Bangs took his place. Clark made a long kick which was returned by McBride and a Yale rusher dropped on the ball. The ball was given to Harvard as the man was offside. After several downs, rushes by Weld, Nichols, Clark and Horn, advanced Harvard twenty-five yards. Cumnock made a good rush, but Yale was given fifteen yards for Goldthwaite's continued offside play. Bangs was disqualified and Blanchard took his place. McBride punted and Clark returned the kick; Rogers caught it but Goldthwaite threw him and Clark fell on the ball. A foul gave it to Yale. Cumnock broke through and secured it again. Four downs gave it to Yale and Mcbride punted over to Crane who fumbled and was forced to make a safety. A fine rush by Clark advanced Harvard twenty-five yards, and time was called with the ball in the center of the field. Score, Yale, 2; Harvard 0.

The second half began at 3.30 p. m. and Harvard went in to play hard. A kick by Weld gained thirty yards, and after several scrimmages, Yale secured the ball. Long kicks were made by both fullbacks, and Yale had the ball down at the thirty-yard line. Harvey tried to run, and was tackled by Goldthwaite. Yale had the ball down, but Nichols broke through and secured it. Crane gained forty yards by a kick, but the ball went outside and Yale got it. Bride kicked and Cumnock got the ball. Then Weld punted over and Yale made a fair catch. Harvard got the ball and good rushes were made by Clark and Goldthwaite, but a foul gave it to Yale. Harvey, Yale's halfback, fumbled, and Goldthwaite dropped on the ball. For five minutes Harvard had the ball at Yale's ten-yard line, but failed to score, and finally lost it on four downs. The backs exchanged long kicks, and Horn, getting the field on Clark's magnificent thirty-five-yard kick, dropped on the ball at Yale's twenty-five-yard line. At this point, Nichols was injured, but after five minutes' rest went on playing. Yale got the ball and kicked. Weld returned it and Harvard's rushers caused Rogers to fumble. Cumnock picked up the ball and made a beautiful rush, then dodging five Yale men, and securing a touchdown between the goal posts. Crane kicked the goal. Score: Harvard, 6; Yale, 2. The ball was again put in play in the middle of the field. Clark made a fair catch from Yale's kick-off and returned well. Two terrific rushes by White gained twenty yards for Harvard, and Clark and Weld made ten yards more. Yale had the ball on Harvard's twenty-five yard line, and McBride punted over, giving it to Harvard. Cumnock, Clark, White and Weld made good rushes. Yale got the ball on a foul but Harvard soon had it again. On four downs it went to Yale. The ball was then passed to one of the halfbacks, but Cumnock and Nichols had jumped on him before he could start. As the ball was about to be put in play again, time was called.

One of the features of the game was the fine work done by Harvard's center and guards in breaking through; Yale was unable to hold them. The whole Harvard team did so well that it seems unfair to distinguish between the men, but if any should be mentioned, Clark, Weld, Cumnock and Nichols are the ones. For Yale, McBride and Roby distinguished themselves. The referee was Mr. Alexander, Harvard; umpire, Mr. Herrick, Technology.