The Dinner Given to Bob Cook.

YALE GRADUATES TURN OUT IN FORCE.

The large dining-room of the Hotel Brunswick, in New York, was gaily decorated with blue bunting on Saturday night, the occasion being the grand banquet tendered to Captain Robert J. Cook of the class of '76, by the graduates of Yale in recognition of his extraordinary services in behalf of the University crew. Captain Cook rowed on the University Crew in 1872, which was defeated. He then came to the conclusion that he could obtain some good points from the English University crews and accordingly paid a visit to Oxford and Cambridge in '73, with a view to learning their stroke. The result of his visit was the famous "Cook stroke," a combination of his own ideas and those of the Englishmen. He has worked faithfully with the crews since his graduation, and has done more to raise the standard of rowing at Yale than any other man. The dinner was in every way a success. Many prominent graduates were present, among them were Hon. Henry E. Howland, Prof. Richards, Gen. George Peabody Wetmore, Buchanan Winthrop, Frederic W. Stevens, Sidney E. Morse, and George A. Adee. Following were some of the toasts: "Athletics at Yale," responded to by Prof. E. L. Richards, '60; "From Quinsigamond to the Thames," responded to by W. C. Gulliver, '70; "Graduate Interest in Boating," responded to by Anthony Higgins, '61; "The Girls in Blue," responded to by Isaac H. Bromley, '55: "The Last Half Mile," responded to by Almet F. Jenks, '75; "The Sons of Yale," responded to by E. G. Mason, '60; and "Would-be Oarsmen," responded to by Watson R. Sperry, '71. Hon. Henry E. Howland presided, and the dinner broke up at a late - or rather early hour, amid ringing cheers for Bob. Cook.