The Race With Columbia.

SHE WANTS ADMITTANCE TO THE YALE-HARVARD CONTEST.

The ink on the constitution of the new base-ball league admitting Columbia to an equal participation is hardly dry before we hear that college wants something more and this appears to be a share in the Yale-Harvard boat race. The following extract from the Globe of yesterday in speaking of the freshman race speaks for itself:

"Columbia will throw her influence strongly in favor of admitting the Yale freshmen to the race, while Yale will favor the admission of the Columbia 'Varsity Crew to the great Harvard-Yale race, which has become the leading sporting event of the season in this country. Columbia had a crew last year that defeated the crack eight from Cambridge and would undoubtedly have given Yale a hot race had the two crews been permitted to meet Columbia has attained such excellence in all branches of athletics that there seems to be no reason why her crew should not be considered as worthy to row Harvard and Yale as her base-ball nine is to meet the clubs from the two oldest colleges."

It seems then that a powerful "combination" has been formed to make Harvard admit the Yale freshmen and Columbia 'varsity to the contests at New London. The plan is well arranged, and the attempt is ingenious. A despatch was sent yesterday to New Haven for further particulars in regard to the matter, but up to the time of going to press last night no answer had been received. The crew management has received no notice of the demands made by Columbia and Yale, and declines to make any statement in regard to the matter until after such notification shall arrive.