The Harvard Union.

The organization of the Harvard Union dates from the year. 1832. The first president of the society was George Ticknor Curtis and Francis Bowen its first secretary. The question first proposed for debate was "Are our republican institutions destined to be permanent?" The slavery and tariff questions were frequently brought before the Union and the records show that the society was then in favor of protection. As early as this the system of elective studies was advocated by the majority of the members. James Russel Lowell, Edward Everett Hale and E. Rock wood Hoar are names to be found in the long list of officers.

A society which has such an honorable record and which offers such opportunities to members, should be one of the strongest of our college organizations. No greater test of ability can be imagined than that which compels a man to prove true to himself and to his convictions as he stands before an audience composed of students like himself and express his own thoughts and character in every sentiment he utters. The habit of hearing one's own voice, of thinking upon one's feet is a most valuable acquisition and it can be obtained in no other way than by participation in the work of the Harvard Union.

The first debate of the season will be held on Thursday, October 11, in Sever Hall. The question to be discussed is interesting to everybody, and the debate cannot fail to attract much attention. It is: "Resolved, that the reelection of Grover Cleveland would be for the best interests of the United States." It is hoped that a larger interest will be taken in the Union this winter than was shown last year. The debates are open to all members of the University, and all are invited to participate in the discussions. A student who has spoken twice from the floor becomes thereby eligible for membership. The easy access to the society must prove an additional incentive to men who desire to learn to speak well.