Intercollegiate Lawn Tennis.

In 1883 delegates from Amherst, Trinity and Brown met at Hartford to form an intercollegiate Lawn Tennis association. Yale and Harvard were asked to join, and it was decided that "the championship tournament be held on the 9th of October at Hartford, Conn." In the early part of June an exhibition tournament was held at Hartford in which players from five colleges took part The winners were, in singles, J. Clark, Harvard '83, G. L. Sargent, Yale L. S. second; in doubles, Clark and Taylor of Harvard first, with Gardiner and Hill of Brown, second. The first annual tournament was held as agreed, at Hartford in October, and Wesleyan was allowed to send entries H. A. Taylor, Harvard '86, won first place in singles, with L. Thorne, Yale '85, second; in the doubles Taylor and Preshboey of Harvard won first prize, and Thorne and Knapp of Yale, second. In 1884, at a meeting of the association, Lehigh and Williams were admitted, and it was decided to discontinue the spring tournaments. A few days before the annual tournament Princeton was admitted. The tournament was held at Hartford a few days after the college term had begun. Harvard was represented by R. D. Sears, the champion of the United States, and by Taylor and others. To the great surprise of all Sears was defeated by Knapp, Yale '86, who won first place, with Brinley of Trinity second; in the doubles Yale won with Knapp and and Thorne, Brinley and Wright, of Trinity, being second. In the following year, 1885, towards the end of October, the tournament was held on the grounds of the New Haven LawnTennis Club. W. P. Knapp, the winner of the singles the year before, was again victorious both in singles and in doubles, winning the doubles with Shipman; in the singles Brinley of Trinity again won second place, and in the doubles Chase and Pratt of Amherst were second. In 1886 Columbia was admitted, and all the colleges except Lehigh sent representatives. The tournament was held on the same grounds as the year before and Brinley won first prize in the singles with Thacher of Yale second; in the doubles Knapp and Thacher won first place after a close and exciting struggle with Brinley and Paddock of Yale, who won second place, In 1887 University of Pennsylvania was admitted, and all the colleges were represented at the tournament. The winners were, in singles, P. Sears of Harvard, with O. S, Campbell of Columbia second; in doubles P. Sears and Q. Shaw of Harvard, with Hall and Campbell of Columbia second.

This fall, players from eight of the colleges took part in the tournament-Pennsylvania, Lehigh and Wesleyan not sending any entries. The tournament was held at New Haven and Harvard won again in the singles through P. Sears, but lost the doubles to Hall and Campbell of Columbia, the winners of the first place in the United States championship tournament. Sears and Shaw, however, won second place in doubles and Hall of Columbia in singles.

In the six annual championship tournaments Harvard has thus won five first places and one second. Yale five first places and three seconds. Columbia one first and three seconds. Trinity one first and four seconds. and Amherst one second.