An Ancient Landmark.

The building of Hastings Hall will eventually make it necessary to tear down one of the oldes landmarks in Cambridge, known as the Watson House. This house was built in the year 1791 by John Nutting, and is a two-story wooden structure with a gambrel roof, large chimneys and deep fire-places, and stands today in nearly the same conditin as when constructed. The framing is of oak and the heavy beams project into the rooms nearly three inches. The rooms are low studded and are surrounded by an oak wainscotting three feet high. The hallway is large and square and out of it leads an old fashioned winding stairway, extending to the attic.

The house was standing when on April 19, 1775, Lord Percy marched up North Avenue with reinforcements for Pitcairn who was retreating from Concord. Within a stone's throw stood the Holmes house in which the poet was born and which was torn down a few years ago to make room for the Law School building. The doors and window sashes are the same that were originally put into the house, and in the transom over the door are five lights of old English bull's eye glass.

A few years ago there were a number of these old houses along North Avenue, but one by one they have been removed until this last representative remains. It will probably be allowed to stand a year or more longer as the new dormitory is to be built round and not on its site.