Evening Service at Appleton Chapel.

Last evening a very large number of people attended the service at Appleton Chapel. Rev. President Hyde of Bowdoin College was the preacher. He based his discourse upon the text, "Except man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God " (St. John iii: 3). Man cannot experience more than he is. We cannot feel the blessings of God and the joy of His presence in our lives unless we, in whatever walks of life we be, lay aside selfish aims and devote ourselves to His glorification by making every work a deed of love to Him. A man of good morality alone, and a man who follows the course of some ethical institution, which perhaps jars against his nature, and stirs no religious feeling in his heart-these men are far from regeneration; man must have the religious feeling of the Almighty Omnipotence, and if he truly gives himself up to the Almighty, he will ultimately, though not without effort, see the kingdom of God.

The choir sang the hymnal "My faith looks up to Thee," by Monk; also anthems by Shelley and Attwood.