Electric Lights Petition.

Through the courtesy of President Eliot, a fuller explanation has been received of the reasons which deterred the corporation from granting the CRIMSON petition for electric lights in the library. A thorough investigation of the subject showed that of the two methods now available for introducing electricity, one is dangerous, the other too expensive. The current which supplies the incandescent lights of Cambridge is the same as that used for the are lights, except that it is lessened by reducers. The reducers, however, may at any time get out of order and allow the full current of the street lights to pass through the connecting wires and set fire to the buildings it enters. A current taken from the electric railway system would have the same objections. Another danger from any system with uninsulated wires which run near others is that storms often bring the different wires into contact, and thus currents of great intensity may flow into channels not intended for them. Several recent accidents have been due to this cause, such as the killing of a horse in Cambridge, and the simultaneous burning of four or five houses in Somerville.

Since the danger from connecting the library with outside systems is so great, the question of having the lights is narrowed down to the possibility of establishing a system within the college itself. If such a step were taken, the yard, the gymnasium, Memorial Hall, Sanders Theatre, and the Law School reading-room all ought to have the benefit of the lights, as well as the library. It has been found that the expense of the plant for such a system would be at least $20,000, and the corporation are not at present able to devote so large a sum to this purpose.