Hartford, 13; Harvard, 10.

Yesterday afternoon on Holmes field the university nine met the Hartford's, a professional team belonging to the Atlantic League. It has the reputation of being a strong nine, and although beaten Harvard showed up well against them except in the first part of the eighth inning when the game was practically given away, Hawley pitched for Harvard. He did not do badly but received poor backing up. Hartford got only thirteen hits off his delivery, while Harvard got fifteen with a total of nineteen off the Hartvord pitcher. He was a little wild and gave six men first on called balls, but on the other hand he struck out six. Harvard's work at the bat was excellent. Winkleman is left handed and pitches a slow, deceptive ball, and Harvard got only eight strike outs with fifteen hits for nineteen. Everyone on the university nine got at least one hit, and Howland got three out of five. Hartford came to the bat first and Murphy opened immediately with a base hit, which, followed by a two base hit of Mann's gave him an earned run. Mann stole second, and got home aided by wild pitch. A short fly, a strike out and a foul to Henshaw finished the inning for Hartford. Linn got out by a fly to second, Howland knocked a fine long three base hit, but Willard knocked a grounder to second and got out on first. In the meantime, Howland tried to get home, but first to catcher put him out on the plate.

In the second Hartford got three hits and a wild throw of Henshew's gave Winkleman a run. Harvard did not score. Cummings and Dean struck out and Henshaw got caught on second.

Hartford in the third inning again was shut out. Lynch and Herny got hits but were left on bases. The next three men one struck out, one had a sharp liner caught by Mumford, and the last got out by sending the ball to Howland who assisted Willard.

In the third Harvard began to do better and scored three times, one an earned run. Both Henshaw and Dean got two base hits and Howland a single. The scores were now even.

Hartford's first two men in the next inning struck out, and the third sent a high short fly to Willard on first. Harvard went out in the same manner; two strike outs and a fly to first. Hartford was again shut out in the fifth. Harvard did nothing worthy of mention in tee field. but at the bat was shut out, one strike out of Evans, and Mumford and Cummings out on first by short hits. The next inning with Hartford at the bat, Harvard did good work: a stop of Dean's by which Foster got out on first was especially good. Harvard's work at the bat was also good. They scored three runs all of them earned, and made five single hits. The score stood six to three. In the eighth the professionals appeared to get down to better work and handled Hawley about as they pleased. Eleven men came to the bat and four hits and three bad errors were made, and seven runs scored. The second man at the bat hit a hot liner to Mumford which bounced unexpectedly and injured his leg so that he was obliged to let McLeod take his place. Harvard started off well. Evans got around on Hawley's hit, but Dean and Hawley were left by the failure of Linn and Howland to reach first. Hartford continued the same game in the ninth and ran up their score to thirteen. Hawley gave three of them bases on balls. Harvard also gained three runs by good batting and a base on errors.

Throughout the game Henshaw did good work behind the bat, stopping balls which ordinarily would have been wild pitches. His errors were not costly as it happened. Dean distinguished himself by his base sliding. Appended is the score.

HARTFORD.AB. R. BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Murphy, l.f. 6 2 2 2 0 1 0

Mann, r.f. 3 3 1 2 0 0 0

Lynch, 1b. 4 0 1 1 12 1 0

Henry, c.f. 6 1 4 5 1 0 1

Say, 3b. 6 1 1 1 1 2 1

McCabe, 2b. 5 1 1 1 4 5 0

Foster, s.s. 4 2 1 1 0 3 0

Derby, c. 5 1 1 1 9 1 0

Winkelman, p. 5 2 1 1 0 9 0

Totals. 44 13 13 15 27 22 2

HARVARD.AB. R, BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Linn, r.f. 5 1 1 1 0 0 0

Howland, 3b. 5 2 3 5 5 1 0

Willard, 1b. 4 1 1 1 9 0 0

Henshaw, c. 4 0 1 2 8 2 2

Mumford, s.s. 4 0 1 1 1 2 3

Cummings, l.f. 4 1 1 1 0 0 1

Evans, c.f. 5 1 1 1 3 0 2 0

Dean, 2b. 4 2 2 3 0 2 0

Hawley, p. 5 1 3 3 1 9 0

McLeod, s.s. 1 1 1 1

Totals. 41 10 15 19 27 16 8

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hartford. 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 7 3-13

Harvard. 0 0 3 0 0 3 1 3 10

Earned runs, Hartford 2, Harvard 4; two base hits, Mann, Henry, Henshaw, Dean; three base hits, Howland; first base on balls, Hartford 6, Harvard 4; first base on errors, Hartford 11, Harvard 5; struck out, Hartford 6, Harvard 8: wild pitches, Harvard 1; out on bases, Hartford 2, Harvard 3; left on bases, Hartford 9, Harvard 8; time, 2 hours; umpire, Mr. Quinn of Boston.